Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice
13781349

I have scar tissue in my urethra and kinda seems that my steam

I have scar tissue in my urethra and kinda seems that my steam is weaker but I can still empty my bladder . I was wondering if it was possible that it could be getting worse. Also been having terrible abdominal pain
Category: Health
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 1 year ago.

Anthony Bray, MD : Hello!
Customer:

Hi

Anthony Bray, MD : Well on the scar tissue in thecurethra you need to be checked by a urologist....
Customer:

ok

Anthony Bray, MD : It sounds that you need urodynamic testing to see how readily and completely your bladder is able to empty....
Anthony Bray, MD : if you have much obstruction of bladder emptying this can cause a range if complications if severe enough... Even kidney failure in worst case scenario ... So it is not anything to ignore...
Anthony Bray, MD : Based on your limited history I can't tell if your abdominal pain is related at all to your urethra problem or if this something completely unrelated.
Anthony Bray, MD : Have you had trouble with constipation ( fewer than three BM's/ week)?
Anthony Bray, MD : Diarrhea on the other hand?
Customer:

More than three and some diarrhea

Anthony Bray, MD : Dividing the abdominal area into sections >> left // middle and right and upper// middle and lower>>> what areas of the abdomen have been hurting?
Anthony Bray, MD : what has been the quality of pain? ( sharp, dull, ache, burning, other,,,)
Anthony Bray, MD : Have you been nauseated??
Anthony Bray, MD : if for example you had problems with a stomach ulcer of gastritis ( a diffuse irritation of the stomach lining) then you might describe typically a burning quality of pain in the upper middle ( epigastric section) >> this is just an example... The same type problem may hurt a bit different in different individuals....
Customer:

directly below the belly button and just above on right side. It is a sharp and dull pain. Some time it feels like something is trying to pushing out anterior

Anthony Bray, MD : Ok with some diarrhea- how long has this benn going on??
Anthony Bray, MD : loose brown stools or watery or yellowish....
Customer:

Stools have been really soft and fall apart I'd say about 2-3 wks

Anthony Bray, MD : The connection with some diarrhea sounds consistent with possible enteritis as cause-- these are infections of the bowel and majority are viral but some may be bacterial or parasitic...
Anthony Bray, MD : you may benefit to try Pepto Bismol up to 7 doses / day ( one dose after each loose stool) do this for up to five days...
Anthony Bray, MD : this product will cause a chalky black discoloration of the stool ( Pepto just does that--- nothing to worry about in this setting)
Anthony Bray, MD : following Pepto I would advise taking a probiotic such as Activia to populate the GI tract with harmless bacteria....
Customer:

Could this be all in my head. And been taking pepto pills one time a day

Anthony Bray, MD : I don't think that it is " just in your head" although the problem of IBS ( irritable bowel syndrome) may be related to stress...
Anthony Bray, MD : I think that you need more Pepto / day for a few days and if you still have symptoms see your doctor...
Customer:

So take seven capsules a day?

Anthony Bray, MD : next step would include physical exam, stool sample to test for infections and perhaps blood tests ( depending in the details of the abdominal pain and physical exam--- pancreas and liver enzymes for example--- CBC---complete blood count)
Anthony Bray, MD : At least three/ day and up to max of seven....
Anthony Bray, MD : OK to start Activia or similar probiotic 4th or 5th day.....
Anthony Bray, MD : I hope that this is helpful for you! Let me know if you have further questions!
Customer:

I've been eating plain Greek yogurt at least once a day

Anthony Bray, MD : red flags to watch for include abdominal pain too severe to allow sleep( 7/10 on my scale) or abdominal pain plus fever with temp > 101. ... Or abdominal pain plus extreme watery diarrhea, bloody diarrhea or vomiting plus diarrhea( risk of dehydration in this last case)
Anthony Bray, MD : that is fine! The yogurt counts as a probiotic!
Customer:

1-2 times a day with the yogert

Anthony Bray, MD : That is fine!
Anthony Bray, MD : just want to make sure that you are not lactose intolerant-- you would probably have a longer history of problems with bloating and diarrhea after eating fairy products if this are the case... Problem is easily treated with Lactaid cap lets ( 1 to 3 ) with meals depending on dairy content....
Anthony Bray, MD : Well I hope this has been helpful for you! Let me know if you have further questions or discussion and I will be happy to get back with you! If my answers have been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback. Thank you and best regards,
Customer:

Ok

Anthony Bray, MD : Anthony Bray MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience: 14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice