Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Twenty years experience in active private practice

Is it okay to take off an aircast to let my ankle relax?

Is it okay to take off an aircast to let my ankle relax? Just at the end of the day?

The aircast helps to keep the foot and the ankle joint at a constant angle to help promote faster healing. You can take it off at night to relax the ankle but it is better to use it constantly during the day. You can ake it off temporarily when you are sitting or lying down and have your foot up on a cushion but healing will be much faster if you do not take it off during the day.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Stress fractures are a real pain. I do take a Calcium supplement with 400 iu of vitamin D as well. Is that okay?

Yes, fractures can be quite painful. Calcium supplements with vitamin D do help in healing but the main treatment is rest - rest helps the bones to heal.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I also need foot surgery to rebreak 2 footbones and repair the ligaments and remove bad bone spurs. I had nasty fractures in my left foot in the metatarsal area that healed badly. The Ligaments are all frayed and they need new ones from my knee area. What should I do after surgery? At least the Aircast will come in Handy after wards.

Yes, the aircast will come in handy after the surgery.

After the surgery, once the bones and ligaments are healed, you will need physiotherapy to help t mobilize the foot again. It will not be easy but you should have a full recovery.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

How those fractures happened was i dropped the corner of a heavy end table. The corner just smashed the bones in three places. It healed rather bad. The pain still lingers years after. The bones spurs are a real pain in the neck. one digs into my fourth toe and twisted it around 45 degrees. Man I was relieved to hear about the surgery. looking at 4 to 6 months healing time. They have to transplant ligaments from my knee to re strap the ligaments again. Got a sweet orthopedic surgeon how is fun. I get an epidural for it. 3 days in hospital after the surgery.

You have my sympathies. But you seem to have got a good doctor and proper treatment. I hope you recover well.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Are there such things as long acting epidurals?

You can ask for long acting epidural painkillers. In this procedure, a catheter is left in place in the epidural region for a long time ( up to several days). A continuous infusion of pain relievers, including numbing medications (local anesthetics) or opioid medications, can be delivered through the catheter to control pain.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Okay Thank you for you advice!!!!Cool

You are welcome.

Please click on a positive rating to leave feedback.