Chris C.
Chris C., Nurse
Experience:  Nurse with with 10+ yrs. in wellness care, geriatrics, hospice and acute care.
66637759

Good evening, I am a multiple myeloma patient with leukopenia

Good evening,

I am a multiple myeloma patient with leukopenia and neutropenia. I have experienced some urinary retention with severe lower back pain. I am concerned this may be pyelonephritis. I don't have fever, but just a general loss of appetite and malaise. I went to a walk-in clinic and they ran a dipstick test and according to the results nothing significant showed. Yet, my symptoms are pervasive. Should I go to an ER for more comprehensive testing?

Respectfully,

medtech254 :

When did the retention and pain start?

medtech254 :

Did the pain start when the retention did? Did you have any problem providing a sample at the clinic?

medtech254 :

How long have you had the loss of appetite and malaise? Do you have foul smelling urine or and other symptoms?

Customer:

The retention began last night and the lower back pain today. I provided a sample in a specimen cup at the clinic. They only ran a dipstick though not an actually microscopic analysis.

Customer:

I have had the loss of appetite since yesterday. I generally feel unwell and have a lot of bloating as well.

medtech254 :

I see.

medtech254 :

Since the pain started after the retention and also the loss of appetite and general malaise this is likely an infection and a cbc would show it even though a dipstick may not show anything.

medtech254 :

It would be best to go to the er and be checked.

medtech254 :

If the retention is serious they may need to cath as well.

medtech254 :

This could also indicate a problem with the kidneys such as a stone.

medtech254 :

In this case it is better to error on the side of safety rather than to wait it out.

Customer:

Thank you so much...May I ask what the symptoms that differentiate a kidney infection from a bladder infection?

medtech254 :

Location of the pain although they are different to each individual. Generally an infection regardless of where it is in the urinary tract is treated the same. The lower back pain though does fall in line with kidney stones but could be a simple kidney infection. Without further testing and a physical exam is is hard to tell for sure so I would suggest you get to the er and get the test that will determine for sure what the issue is and the appropriate treatment started.

Customer:

OK...I am going to pack up and head over to the ER. Thank you so much for taking my question.