Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

I had a question about STDs and a potential sexual encounter

I had a question about STDs and a potential sexual encounter I had and if I should be concerned.

I had sex with a 33 year old woman, we showered first, just touching, then made out in bed, and oral sex. Then I wore a condom and we had intercourse, then after a period of time and more making out, we had intercourse again, but I used a new condom. There was also a time during the sex that I wasnt wearing a condom and we were touching and making out, and she also rubbed my penis on her vagina and her clitoris for awhile while I was not wearing anything. How worried should I be from this episode. thanks.

Chris
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 1 year ago.

Hello Chris,
I am Dr. Arun and will be helping you today.

STDs can be passed through oral sex. The risk increases if either of partners have sores or cuts around the mouth. Rubbing penis on clitoris also would not be absolutely risk free. Having said that, few other factors may also apply for incidence of transmission;

1) Your partner may not have STD.
2) An single unsafe / unprotected sex may not transmit virus, bacteria or organisms. So statistically there is a chance of no transmission

If you do not know your partner well; it is recommended to get a STD screening around 7-10 days and at 4 weeks, of exposure of this kind for the cautionary reason.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

We have recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional. If you have any questions whatsoever, or there is anything I can clarify for you, please temporarily bypass the rating system by clicking “Continue the Conversation” or "Reply."

Clicking either of the lowest two options reflects poorly on me so please reply to me if there is anything else I can do to help before choosing those options. I appreciate your patience while we work out the kinks. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I have provided you. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Can you talk more about the STDs I would be at risk for and can you measure your level of concern on a scale of 1-5, with 5 being the strongest level? How dangerous was the clitoris rubbing?

Hello Chris,

My concern would be 2-3. Clitoris rubbing is less dangerous than vaginal penetration as chance of body fluids exchange is far less, though does not completely eliminates it. The STD risk for your exposure can be;

Chlamydia
Herpes
Hepatitis A, B and C
Gonorrhea
HIV
Syphilis.

Again, please remember, that we are discussing statistics and incidences in a general population to keep utmost precaution. In an individual circumstance the risk may be very low. So please do not worry as there is all the chance that STD screening would be negative.

It is privilege assisting you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hmm, that does make me a little nervous, but I do understand. I wish I could find a way to relieve my anxiety about the encounter.

I am sorry, I had to be honest about it. Though it has created unnecessary anxiety.

Hundred people with your kind of exposure, only 1-3 will have some positive STD screening (that too treatable like chlamydia).
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

So you would still feel generally optimistic about my chances for not have contracting an STD? Especially Im nervous about HIV, as that is so serious while the others are treatable. I definitely appreciate your honesty, it is very valuable and important. Without the honesty, I would not be able to take the answers seriously. So if I understand correctly, you would say that out of 100 random couples who engaged in exposure like me, maybe 1-3 would have contracted an STD? How many for HIV do you think? I know this is all hypothetical anyway. Was the clitoris rubbing incident a really dumb move on my part?

Thanks Chris for your understanding.

HIV chance with your kind of exposure would be around 1-2 in one thousand. Again, your partner may not have HIV, and than the exposure risk would be zero. For rest of the STDs, as you mentioned 1-3 out of 100 may have transmission. Clitoris rubbing may have small exposure to the vaginal fluid, which can be a risk. Again the risk with a single exposure is around 0.3%
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience: MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

So you are saying that if she had HIV, it would be about 1-2 percent chance that I would have contracted it from that exposure? So is the risk higher for the other diseases because they are stronger and more easily contracted? Is HIV especially weak or harder to get, even with an infected partner?

Even if she has HIV the chance of transmission is less than 3 in one thousand (0.3%) with a single exposure. For other STDs it is 1-3% with your exposure.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Even if she has HIV the chance of transmission is less than 3 in one thousand (0.3%)

Where did you come up with that figure? Just curious, not trying to challenge you . I just want to believe it and feel somewhat relieved.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you very much for this chart, its really great. It helps explain a lot. So are those numbers on a per exposure basis and why would it be different low income to high income country if the activity was the same? Is it assuming that the partner does have HIV in those figures?

So when it says .08%, vaginal sex, female to male in high income countries, is that assuming the one partner definately has HIV?

I wonder how they measure exposures, like if I rubbed 5 times, with that me 5 exposures and that roll of the dice is rolled for each of those 5 times? or is stat that for the whole act all together, like all 3 hours of time spent?

You are most welcome.

Yes it is assuming that partner has an HIV. The figure has small variation in risk according the economic status which has been observed. Why this variation occurs is not exactly clear. Many times incidences are presented as observed and a clear explanation may not be available.

Exposure is complete penetrative vaginal sex, so your exposure would be considered as far less. Rubbing is probably less than one complete sex.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

can you explain the term "late stage disease", how would I know if that were true? Thanks so much, you are helping a lot.

You are very welcome, Chris.

I am not clear which context is the term "late stage disease"?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

it is one of the figures in the HIV stats chart you sent me. One of the categories. It lists the risk as .55 percent or 1 in 187. I wondered what " late stage disease" meant in their context.

Chris, Late stage disease here means full blown AIDS which would be pretty obvious to eyes. In your case your partner did not have obvious AIDS.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you very much.

You are always welcome, Chris.
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)