Nurse Milli, RN
Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  20 years experience in many areas of Nursing. Both Hospital and Private Practice experience.
7152018

I am currently on desogen bc to regulate my period (I have

I am currently on desogen bc to regulate my period (I have PCOS). This is my second cycle. At the end of the first cycle I had a normal period followed by 5 days of a dark spotting (which I assumed was left over blood) 3 days after that I started my period once again and have been bleeding for 12 days mostly normal flow. I cannot get into my physician for 2 weeks, should I consider going to the emergency room?

Hi there and thank you for the question. I am a Registered Nurse and will be happy to help you today.

Some abnormal bleeding (or breakthrough bleeding) can be expected when starting a birth control pill. However, excessive bleeding can cause other problems such as anemia. Also, an exam or even ultrasound of the uterus can be performed to make sure there is no other underlying conditions such as fibroids causing the issue. Problems with the thyroid can also cause (or add to) abnormal bleeding. So yes, if you cannot be seen by your regular OB/GYN until 2 weeks from now, I would go to the emergency room just to be checked out. Reply back if I can help further.