How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Nurse Milli, RN Your Own Question
Nurse Milli, RN
Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 4139
Experience:  20 years experience in many areas of Nursing. Both Hospital and Private Practice experience.
Type Your Health Question Here...
Nurse Milli, RN is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am currently on desogen bc to regulate my period (I have

This answer was rated:

I am currently on desogen bc to regulate my period (I have PCOS). This is my second cycle. At the end of the first cycle I had a normal period followed by 5 days of a dark spotting (which I assumed was left over blood) 3 days after that I started my period once again and have been bleeding for 12 days mostly normal flow. I cannot get into my physician for 2 weeks, should I consider going to the emergency room?

Hi there and thank you for the question. I am a Registered Nurse and will be happy to help you today.

Some abnormal bleeding (or breakthrough bleeding) can be expected when starting a birth control pill. However, excessive bleeding can cause other problems such as anemia. Also, an exam or even ultrasound of the uterus can be performed to make sure there is no other underlying conditions such as fibroids causing the issue. Problems with the thyroid can also cause (or add to) abnormal bleeding. So yes, if you cannot be seen by your regular OB/GYN until 2 weeks from now, I would go to the emergency room just to be checked out. Reply back if I can help further.

Nurse Milli, RN and 3 other Health Specialists are ready to help you