Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

Should stool sink or float? I just went to the bathroom and

Should stool sink or float? I just went to the bathroom and had a very smooth and soft stool, in about 3 different pieces. I watched for about 90 seconds and then they sank. Is that normal?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Hasan :

HI, Thanks for your question. My name isXXXXX and I am here to help you today. I will be happy to help you with your follow-up questions also.

Customer:

Thanks

Dr. Hasan :

Was that a stool of normal consistency?

Customer:

My stools have been in consistent for awhile which is normal. I dont have the best diet. Sometimes they are like that, more medium brown, other times they are lumpy and darker brown. Ive just never seen them float then sink right after

Dr. Hasan :

What are your diagnosed medical problems?

Dr. Hasan :

Any pain on right side below rib cage

Dr. Hasan :

Any discomfort in stomach area after fatty meals?

Customer:

i dont have any. i had a colonoscopy and endoscopy in march and everything was fine. also had blood work done, all came back normal. ive had pain in places before, but its also just trapped gas.

Dr. Hasan :

Thanks a lot for your input.

Dr. Hasan :

Although floating or sinking stools are not always indicative of diseases because it depends on lot of factors.

Dr. Hasan :

Stool should sink in a normal person.

Dr. Hasan :

Floating stools can sometime be related to malabsorbed fat in some diseases of gall bladder

Customer:

my stool always sinks. only this time it floated for a min or so then sank

Dr. Hasan :

but as in your case stool sinked so it is perfectly normal.

Dr. Hasan :

Yes if it sinked then nothing to worry about, it's normal.

Customer:

ive just been worried about pancreatic cancer and i dont know why. ive done my research and i know the likely hood of a 25 year old getting that disease is almost impossible

Dr. Hasan :

Yes you are very right, it is not a disease of 25 years and moreover the symptoms you have described so far are not consistent with that. Normal tests again are pretty reassuring.

Dr. Hasan :

I think you are over stressing yourself.

Dr. Hasan :

Which you should not for sure.

Customer:

ok. i keep telling myself that if something was really wrong, a blood test would have shown something. and i dont think something really bad could all of a sudden develope from march till now right?

Dr. Hasan :

Yes definitely yes, your tests should be shown something, moreover pancreatic cancer can't progress this early.

Dr. Hasan :

Above all your symptoms are absolutely perfect. Nothing indicative of cancer so far.

Customer:

ok

Customer:

i appreciate everything

Dr. Hasan :

I am glad to hear that, i wish you a happy and healthy life, please ask if you have any question because our discussion always remains open so you can always ask more till you are satisfied, You can click the smiley to rate the answer. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always.

Customer:

thank you very much

Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery