Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience:  M.B;B.S ; FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialties

My husband woke up and it looks like he has a black eye (more

My husband woke up and it looks like he has a black eye (more red than purple) and says it is sore. What could it be? It is only a little swollen.

Hello and thank you for the question.

Answers given are for informational purposes only and are not meant to replace an exam by an in-person.

I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Internal Medicine Specialist and i will do my best to help you today.

This can be bacterial conjuctivitis.

Or a bleed in the eye due to many reasons (such as low platelets, blood thinners like coumadin/aspirin, high blood pressure).

If there are no other symptoms like weakness of any body part/head ache/slurred speech, then there is nothing seriously wrong right now, and he can wait to get a consultation on outdoor basis (while he continue to wash his eye gently with clean water frequently).

If he has any of the above mentioned symptoms, he should go to ER for urgent evaluation.

My goal is to provide you with Excellent Service - if satisfied with the response, Please do not forget to Rate my service as this is the only way i get credit for my time and expertise on your question.

If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindest Regards.