Dr. Tim, MD
Dr. Tim, MD, Board-Certified MD
Experience:  I can help you with General Health questions.
62949540

I had IUI on Aug 2. However, I have been bleeding since Aug

I had IUI on Aug 2. However, I have been bleeding since Aug 15 during the two week wait. It's heavy and reddish. Does it mean I'm having my period and that my IUI didn't work?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Tim, MD replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Tim, MD :

Hello, I would be happy to help you today - please give me a minute to review your question.

Dr. Tim, MD :

What were your cycles like before the IUI? Were they regular? What medications were you on?

Customer:

i dont have regular cycles. it usually comes after 6 months or more.

Customer:

After IUI, I had Valiera 2mg and cyclogest 200mg 3 times a day.

Dr. Tim, MD :

Given your irregular cycles, and the fact that you went through IUI almost certainly at a point in your cycle when you were ovulating, then this bleeding is NOT related to your period.

Dr. Tim, MD :

Did you have an ultrasound before the IUI?

Customer:

yes, before the trigger

Customer:

but not right before IUI

Dr. Tim, MD :

So here is what I think (please give me a couple of minutes to type):

Dr. Tim, MD :

1. It sounds like your fertility issues are related to your cycle and irregular ovulation
2. This was corrected with medications and monitored with ultrasound - so the timing in the cycle was probably good
3. Once the IUI is done, sperm move up into the fallopian tube where conception occurs
4. Implantation then occurs within the week or two after
5. The bleeding is NOT an indication that the IUI did not work
6. It is almost certainly related to the medications you are on - but is not necessarily a bad sign

Dr. Tim, MD :

When would you take a pregnancy test?

Customer:

today, with the blood test

Customer:

but i havent seen a doctor

Dr. Tim, MD :

I would remain hopeful if I were you. If this cycle is not a success, then I would address the bleeding with your doctor and ask if they think that there is any possibility of polyps.

Dr. Tim, MD :

Does this asnwer your questions?

Customer:

when i started bleeding on Aug 15 I took the regular test, but it was negative

Dr. Tim, MD :

That is okay because the blood test is more accurate.

Customer:

i think i have polyps

Customer:

from previous ultrasould

Dr. Tim, MD :

The polyp question should definitely be re-addressed given the bleeding!

If you are satisfied, please provide a POSITIVE RATING. It has been a pleasure.

Customer:

should i try the preg test again before the blood test?

Customer:

im so desperate

Dr. Tim, MD :

No, I would just wait for the blood test

Dr. Tim, MD :

Does this answer your questions?

Customer:

Thank you Tim.

Customer:

I guess I just have to keep hoping.

Dr. Tim, MD :

You must not give up hope - you are still young!

Customer:

This is my 2nd IUI.

Customer:

really hope it works

Dr. Tim, MD :

Good luck to you!

Customer:

thanks

Customer:

have a nice day.

Dr. Tim, MD :

You too - please remember to rate my answer!

Customer:

wll do

Dr. Tim, MD, Board-Certified MD
Experience: I can help you with General Health questions.