Family Physician, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
1304720

hunger that is not satisfied

I've been taking 3 new medicines for about a month (alprazolam .5 mg, zolpidem 5mg, pravastatin 20 mg). I am type 2 diabetic and lately my sugars have been higher than normal 260-300 after eating. I take 2000 mg metform ER daily (usually all at the same time). I take insulin as needed to counteract the high sugars. I've been doing this for 5 years, but now I have a hunger that is never satisfied and the only thing that is different is the 3 new medications that were added. I did get off track taking my metformin (went from 4 to 2 to 3, I was all over the place. I've been back on track now for 4 days and I have had the hunger for 4 days.

Thank you for your question:

Why were you started on these new medications?

Has anything else changed in your life including activity level?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

high cholesterol (which I've always had)

stress from conflict with neighbor and her barking dog; mom passed away

can't fall asleep on my own

Thank you for this additional information:

There are several possible explanations for the higher blood sugar readings - but based on the information you have provided, the first thing that comes to mind is the stress and possibly an element of depression.

Overeating and sleep problems are common symptoms reported with depression. Generally, I am not a fan of using alprazolam for anxiety or "stress". I believe the SSRI class of medications are much better for most people suffering from depression and/or anxiety. These medications include Paxil, Prozac, Celexa, Zoloft to name a few.

Getting some exercise on a daily basis may help with your stress, the high blood sugars and sleep problems. I typically advise people to take a walk every day - at least 30-45 minutes daily. Your personal physician can help you design an exercise program specifically suited for your medical condition.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I find it odd that this hunger started a month after taking these new medicines. Before my sugars were fairly high but manageable. Now they are always high. I've been dealing with stress for over 20 years, and never felt this type of hunger, where you are hungry even after eating an over large meal, and the hunger never goes away. I don't feel depress but I do get angry and panicky when I hear my neighbor's dog barking. My mom's death took place 8 months ago and that's not bothering me because I did right by her. Anything else you can add.

While it is possible, none of these medications are commonly associated with weight gain or an increase in appetite.