Dr. Brims
Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience:  U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience
14307416

I received blood work results today. My AST was 66 and my ALT

I received blood work results today. My AST was 66 and my ALT was 82. Three weeks ago, my AST was 69 and my ALT was 90. The night before both tests, I had 4-5 glasses of wine. While I plan to stop drinking, should I be concerned about these numbers?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 1 year ago.

Dr Brims :

Hello, welcome to the site! My name isXXXXX and I will try to assist you with your medical question, and any medical information you seek

Dr Brims :

May I ask how often and how much you drink?

Customer:

Pretty much every day. On some nights, as much as 1.5 bottles of wine.

Dr Brims :

Okay, then the results you have are expected, nothing to be concerned about, they should return to normal if you stop drinking

Customer:

My doctor ordered a sonogram of my liver, and it was OK. Can I still drink at a decreased rate? Or is total cessation necessary?

Dr Brims :

I would advise you reduce it significantly maybe at most twice a week

Customer:

OK. Over what length of time should I decrease? Taper down to that level? Or start immediately? I am concerned about withdrawal (sp?)...And would 3-4 beers be significant enough? Or more?

Customer:

(sorry to badger you - I'm just a very specific person...I don't mean to be difficult)

Dr Brims :

I would advise my patient to start right away, reducing the level of alcohol intake to once every 2-3 days

Customer:

Sounds good to me. One last question: within reason, since any number of things can happen to the body, in your estimation based on limited info, significantly decreasing alcohol at this point will get my levels back in line without any long-term health concerns?

Dr Brims :

It should not have any long term effects and should have the levels back to normal within 6 months

Customer:

OK. Thank you very much for your time Doctor.

Dr Brims :

You're quite welcome

Dr Brims :

If you have any questions in the future you may request me and I will answer

Customer:

I appreciate that.

Dr Brims :

If you have no other questions on this topic you may click a rating button to end the chat session

Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience: U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience