Dr. Brims
Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience:  U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience
14307416

My doctor called me and said for me to get to the emergency

My doctor called me and said for me to get to the emergency room because my hemoglobin level is 6.9, red blood count of 3.64, hemcrit level is 23.3, MCV is 64 and Iron level is 16. I could not speak with him and the person that called me could not explain this to me. Help

Dr Brims :

Hello, welcome to the site! My name isXXXXX and I will try to assist you with your medical question, and any medical information you seek

Dr Brims :

I am sorry to hear about this, do you have any medical conditions or take any medication?

Customer:

I am currently taking two metformin a day as well as two bayer aspirin a day

Dr Brims :

Okay, this is a sign that your red blood cells are low, and this is called anemia

Dr Brims :

There are many common causes, usually bleeding, which may be internal or external

Dr Brims :

Low iron can also cause it

Dr Brims :

Increased red blood cell destruction can also cause it, as well as low vitamin B12 and folate

Dr Brims :

You need more blood tests to determine the cause

Dr Brims :

You may also need a blood transfusion

Dr Brims :

This is why you need to go to an Er

Dr Brims :

ER*

Customer:

okay, back in August of 2012 I went into the hospital on received 3 pints of blood because I had heavy periods. My doctor gave me the hemoglobin level of 6.9, red blood cout of 3.64, heocrit level of 23.3, MCV 64 and Iron level 16

Dr Brims :

You may require another transfusion

Dr Brims :

Are you there?

Customer:

Is this normal

Dr Brims :

No, it is not normal, it is low, that is why you need to go to an ER , you need more tests, monitoring and possible blood transfusion

Dr Brims :

Can you see my replies?

Customer:

Yes, I have read them and will call my doctor so that I can be admitted to the hospital instead of going through the ER because I will sit there all day

Dr Brims :

If you show them your your results of the blood tests they will not make you sit there, but if your doctor can have you admitted right away that is fine too

Dr Brims :

If you have no other questions, you may click a rating button to end this chat session

Dr Brims :

If you still have questions on this topic please feel free to ask