Dr. Anil
Dr. Anil, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  M.B.B.S.M.D with over 30 years of experience in this medical field.
4713694

Hi. Question about an EKG. Could you kindly tell me what this

Hi. Question about an EKG. Could you kindly tell me what this means?

"NSR. Axis 60 degrees. Non-specific ST T wave changes. No sig change from prev."

Thanks!!
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Anil replied 3 years ago.
What are your symptoms?

What is the heart rate?

History of hypertension,Diabetes,etc?

Did you consult a doctor yet?

Do you have chest pain?

Was this your first ekg or have you had others?

Are you taking any medications?

Smoking history?

Stress and anxiety issues?

Thanks.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No symptoms. I don't know what yesterday's heart rate was, but it's usually on the high side (100 bpm). Hypertension - yes. Diabetes - yes. Have not consulted any kind of heart specialist. This was the EKG done for my annual physical. No chest pain. Have had other EKGs. Only once has any one ever said "this is bad"... and that was at an Urgent Care visit for terrible breathing problems, or the flu, or both. (I can't remember.) The Urgent Care sent the EKG to my primary doc and he was unconcerned. Yes I take meds: lisinopril for hypertension, SSRI and SNRI, asthma controller and rescue meds, plus psoriasis meds. Non-smoker. Stress and anxiety - yes and yes.

Also - overweight but not obese.
Family history of heart diseases, including a brother who died of brain explosion (I don't know the actual term for what happened... basically a double-stroke in the brain stem) at age 46.
Expert:  Dr. Anil replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for providing more information.
I understand your concern.
Nonspecific ST-T wave abnormalities are very common and may be seen in any limb or precordial lead of the electrocardiogram.
The changes may be seen in all of the limb and precordial leads (diffuse changes).
And the non-specific st-t wave changes may be caused by various causes like anxiety, electrolyte imbalance, Ischemic heart disease,Hypothyroidism,Fever,Anemia.
As you have history of high heart rate,hypertension so it's good to see a cardiologist rather than consider wait & watch approach.

You should have relevant investigations done like coronary angiography, serum electrolytes, 2d echo of heart, serum cortisol levels, thyroid profile to know the associated abnormality after consulting your doctor/cardiologist.

I hope this helps.
If you have any further query then feel free to ask.
Positive feedback and bonus are highly appreciated.
Thank you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Does "Axis 60 degrees" mean anything unusual?
Expert:  Dr. Anil replied 3 years ago.

Hello, Sorry for late reply and inconvenience.

NSR axis should be within 30-90 degrees.

So it's normal in your case.

A clinical correlation of your investigations findings with your current symptoms by a cardiologist should be considered.

I hope this helps.

Thank you.