Onlinedoc, General Physician
Experience:  B.A.M.S with experience in Medicine,Ayurveda, Integrative, CAM

My son, age 29, has been very tired and not feeling particularly

My son, age 29, has been very tired and not feeling particularly well - got married 2 weeks ago and normally would have recovered by now. He tends to have this response from too much sugar. The issue is that his wife and their family make their own wines and it is a big part of their lives. In addition to watching his sugar intake, he has asked me for some dietary suggestions to manage blood sugar- so he can participate some.This is not an area I understand very well would you have suggestions?
Sorry for late reply and inconvenience.
Have you checked his blood glucose levels recently?
What are his symptoms?
Any medicines is he taking?

Thanks dear.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No, he doesn't really have time to find a Dr. as they are leaving on honeymoon soon. He takes no medication of any kind. He is a vegetarian and I wonder if he is getting enough protein. I was hoping to understant

a bit about blood sugar so that he could change his diet some before they leave and perhaps know what kinds of snacks he need to have with him as they will be going through wine country wine tasting as they go for their honeymoon - so not trying to dig very deep right now -Is protein at the same time as a glass of wine helpful? Would something else be

helpful -Don't think they can change honeymoon plans at this point.

This may be an unfair question to be asking you, a Dr. Do you know a source for me to learn about diet and blood sugar. I tried researching on

internet and did not find anything helpful. Just want to make suggestions that may help him avoid feeling poorly but still able to

follow his plans.

I assume checking blood glucose requires a dr visit and blood tests.

Thanks for providing additional information.
I understand your concern and it's my pleasure to help you in every aspect.
Firstly congrats for your son's marriage and have a happy married life.
Now he should take some self care measures while travelling like-
Eat frequent small meals(4-6) throughout the day.
Drink plenty of water.
He should drink 1 or fewer alcoholic beverages a day (1 alcoholic drink equals a 12 oz beer, 5 oz glass of wine, or 1 ½ oz distilled spirits (vodka, whiskey, gin, etc.).
Drink alcohol with a snack or meal.
Some good snack ideas are pretzels, popcorn, crackers, fat-free or baked chips, raw vegetables and a low-fat yogurt dip.
Check the carbohydrates levels in different types of alcoholic drinks.Link

Avoid drinking when blood glucose is already low or when stomach is empty.

Try wine spritzers to decrease the amount of wine in the drink.

He should keep a well-wrapped, air-tight snack pack of crackers or cheese, peanut butter, fruit, a juice box, and some form of sugar (hard candy or glucose tablets) to treat low blood glucose.
Wear comfortable shoes and never go barefoot.
Also it's good to keep a glucometer to check his blood sugar levels at different times.

For further details regarding travelling - link

It's advised to check his blood sugar levels before travelling as well.

Hope this helps.
Please rate me high if you are satisfied with our conversation.
In case you have further query press reply to expert button.
Bonus and positive feedback are appreciated.