Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

I feel my food slide to my stomach, through my stomach, through

I feel my food slide to my stomach, through my stomach, through the intestine all the way to the left side of my colon. Once it works its way past that turn, I feel it finish the rest of the way and prepare to "drop" for removal. What is going on with me that I feel my guts?
I am Dr. Arun and will be helping you today.

Since when are your symptoms?
Do you have bloating, gas, diarrhea/constipation, unformed stool?
Any significant past medical illness or surgery?
Are you on any medications?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Bloating, diahrrea, constipation, just had partial thyroidectomy, taking many meds-ziprasodone, clonazapam, baclofen, Lexapro, topamax, calcium 600/vit D 400, hydroxizine. Symptoms have become extreme today. Took ibuprophen 800.

Your symptoms can be due to following causes (two or more issues can coexist);

1) Irritable bowel syndrome
2) Hiatal hernia
3) Medication side effects
4) Diverticulosis
5) Thyroid hormonal levels abnormality.
6) Anxiety / Depression

A CT scan or MRI of abdomen is the first step of investigation, which will diagnose the cause or give a definite clue for the further investigative work up. It is said that intestines mimics the state of mind so CBT (cognitive behavioral therapy) is likely to help. Yoga too have significant role in treatment.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

We have recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional. If you have any questions whatsoever, or there is anything I can clarify for you, please temporarily bypass the rating system by clicking “Continue the Conversation” or "Reply."

Clicking either of the lowest two options reflects poorly on me so please reply to me if there is anything else I can do to help before choosing those options. I appreciate your patience while we work out the kinks. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I have provided you. Thank you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Could low T4 cause this sensitivity and the medicine they are prescribing me desensitize this sensation? Or could the calcium be causing this hypersensitivity? I will stop eating I promise if this is how it is going to be from now on. It creeps me out.

Low T4 may affect the intestine movements. Calcium usually is not responsible for the hypersensitivity but it is know to cause either diarrhea or constipation in many individuals.

Your symptoms are suggestive of intestinal motility disorder. One of the commonest is called as irritable bowel syndrome (IBS). Following investigations may be considered (if not done);

1) The complete blood count (CBC); altered in irritable bowel disease (in whom leukocytosis / high WBC count is the more frequent result).

2) Protein electrophoresis pattern may show alterations of both albumin and globulins (especially alpha-1 and gamma globulins) in IBS.

3) A barium meal is a helpful study in the diagnosis of intestinal motility disorders.

4) Computed tomography (CT) and nuclear magnetic resonance examinations are also necessary.

5) Defecography

6) Scintigraphic study of the small bowel or colonic transit time is currently most preferred investigations for your symptoms. It shows the intestinal progression of the meal.

Medications like neostigmine, bethanechol, metoclopramide, cisapride, and loperamide may help you.

Following measures collectively may help;

1) Fiber supplementation may improve loose motions. Citrucel and FiberCon may produce less flatulence than psyllium compounds (Metamucil).

2) Caffeine avoidance may limit exacerbation.

3) Lactose and/or fructose should also be limited or avoided.

4) Lomotil and the other medications we discussed above.

It is privilege assisting you.