Dr. Brims
Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience:  U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience
14307416

Can use of Zantac while pregnant show up as a false positive

Can use of Zantac while pregnant show up as a false positive for drug use in the newborn's meconium or can it only show up as a possible false positive in urine of mother.

Dr Brims :

Hello, welcome to the site! My name isXXXXX and I will try to assist you with your medical question, and any medical information you seek

Customer:

Hello

Customer:

I am 33 weeks pregnant and regularly take Zantac which was recommended to me by my ob to take since I cannot take nexium. I read online that you can test positive for amphetamines in a urine test if you take this. Does this also mean when they test the meconium it could also show up that way or is that different?

Dr Brims :

It is possible to show up as a false positive in urine but it should not show up in meconium, but it should not show up in meconium

Customer:

So it would show up only for what it is correct? Not an amphetamine.

Dr Brims :

It should not show up as an amphetamine in meconium, you don't need to worry

Customer:

ok thank you

Dr Brims :

You're quite welcome