Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

Lower left pain that comes and goes. Sometimes into my back.

Lower left pain that comes and goes. Sometimes into my back. No fever, no Discharge, no bladder issues..what could it be

Welcome and thanks for your question. My name isXXXXX

Since when is the pain?

Does the pain come on bending, any back movements or physical activity?

Is there any tenderness, nausea, diarrhea / constipation?

Any past history of stone or significant past history / previous surgery?

Are your periods regular?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I just finished my period..pain feels better when I lay down, no nausea, no tenderness just a gnawing pain that comes and goes for about 3 days now..similar to menstral pain...only history is hernia repair

Your symptoms can be due to following possibilities;

1) Ureteric stone (ureter is the tube which joins kidney and bladder); an ultrasound, an MRI or CT scan with a urine exam and a urine culture would diagnose it. This is one of the most likely cause for these symptoms. A urine test may show blood in it.

2) Recurrent torsion ovarian cyst; an ultrasound and a CT scan would diagnose it.

3) Irritable bowel syndrome; if constipation or diarrhea is associated.

4) Pelvic inflammatory disease; there is a tenderness when pelvic (per vaginal) exam is done. A course of antibiotic may be needed for the treatment.

5) Diverticulosis / Diverticulitis. A CT scan will diagnose it.

6) A muscle pain (myofascial pain syndrome) may also be a possibility.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

We have recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional. If you have any questions whatsoever, or there is anything I can clarify for you, please temporarily bypass the rating system by clicking “Continue the Conversation” or "Reply."

Clicking either of the lowest two options reflects poorly on me so please reply to me if there is anything else I can do to help before choosing those options. I appreciate your patience while we work out the kinks. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I have provided you. Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Would PID have other symptoms? Also I feel some relief from bowel movements and passing gas. I also notice a localized pain in the left abdominal area when I urinate, but no burning urination or straining

PID usually have some other symptoms like vaginal discharge and pain during intercourse.

Relief after bowel movements and passing gas are usually due to diverticulosis, though stone disease too is relieved by it..

Localized pain during urination can be due to stone.

With your symptoms; stone is the most likely diagnosis.

It is privilege assisting you.