Dr. Charles
Dr. Charles, Doctor
Experience:  Internal medicine specialist

My uvula is swollen and my tonsils have what looks like a little

My uvula is swollen and my tonsils have what looks like a little white puss on them, but my throat is not sore at all. My tonsils have looked like this way for a few days, but the uvula being swollen happened over night. I've had problems with my tonsils in the past, but never the uvula being swollen. Is this connected? I've had strep throat in the past but it hurt like mad. No pain with this.
Dear customer,
I am Dr.Charles and I’m happy to help with your question today .I need the following information from you,so that I can provide you the complete & best answer:

Do you have fever?
Have you taken any medications for this?

I am online and is waiting for your reply.

Kind Regards-
Dr. Charles
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No, I don't have a fever and I haven't taken any medications for this.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No, I don't have a fever and I haven't taken anything for it.

Dear XXXXXyn
Thanks for the valuable info you had given.I’ve taken a close look at your question & the reply and come up with the following answer:

Swollen uvula is not a serious condition and should go off on its own in a few days.A swelling of the uvula is known as uvulitis.There are various causes of swollen uvula:

-Bacterial or a viral infection
-Excessive smoking
-Excessive consumption of alcohol
-Common cold

Usually a swollen uvula occurs when tissues around the uvula swell.Infection of throat or infection of tonsils is the most common cause of this.Tonsillitis is the most probable cause of uvula swelling.

Generally, these cases are self limiting and can be treated with rest, fluids, and over the counter anti inflammatory medications.

Following will help you greatly:

-Pour a 1/2 to a whole teaspoon of liquid diphenhydramine syrup into small medicine cup and gargle with it. Try to keep the syrup towards the back of your throat for as long as he can.

-Gargling with lukewarm saline water is one of the best remedies.

-Throat lozenges will also provide great relief.

-Take tab. ibuprofen 400 mg from the counter. It is available as OTC(over the counter) without prescription & will help you greatly.

If after this,still the symptoms persists,then you need to consult your doctor for examination & prescription medications accordingly.

Hope this helped

Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

Thank you! XXXXX
Dr. Charles