Dr. Charles
Dr. Charles, Doctor
Experience:  Internal medicine specialist
6554558

Hi. When it comes to dementia and alzheimers is one a disease

Hi. When it comes to dementia and alzheimers is one a disease and the other not? Would one be considered terminal and one not? Thanks
Dear customer,
I am Dr.Charles and I’m happy to help with your question today .I need the following information from you,so that I can provide you the complete & best answer:

When were you diagnosed with these conditions?
What tests you underwent?

I am online and is waiting for your reply.

Kind Regards-
Dr. Charles

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have not, I was under the impression that one was eventually terminal - and as such might be eligible for Hospice care. That's all. Thx

Dear customer,
Thanks for the valuable info you had given.I’ve taken a close look at your question & the reply and come up with the following answer:

Dementia is a brain disorder that seriously affects a person's ability to carry out daily activities.It is an umbrella term that refers to a group of physical and mental symptoms that are severe enough to interfere with a person's daily functions.

Alzheimer’s disease is a progressive brain disease that slowly destroys memory and thinking skills.It is the most common form of dementia among older people.

Alzheimer's disease accounts for 60-70 percent of cases of dementia.

In a nutshell, dementia is a symptom, and Alzheimer’s disease is the cause of the symptom.Dementia is caused by various causes & Alzheimer’s disease is the most common cause.

Hope this helped in differentiating the two terms.

Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

Thank you!

Kind Regards-
Dr. Charles