Dr. Charles
Dr. Charles, Doctor
Experience:  Internal medicine specialist
6554558

I have been dealing with a fissure now since May-due to childbirth.

I have been dealing with a fissure now since May-due to childbirth. I am so scared it will never go away.
Dear customer,
I am Dr.Charles and I’m happy to help with your question today .I need the following information from you,so that I can provide you the complete & best answer:

Are you having anal fissure?
When was the child birth(since how long you had fissure)?
What is the severity of pain on scale of 1-10?

I am online and is waiting for your reply.

Kind Regards-
Dr. Charles

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi There:

I had the baby Jan 1. Had a tear-fissure was diagnosed on May 2nd, it went away. Then two months later I went off diet while on vacation and came back with a vengence-pain is a 7.

Dear Susie,
Thank you for the quick reply.Also let me know that:

Is this fissure an anal fissure?

Kind Regards-
Dr. Charles
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes it is.

Dear Susie,
Thanks for the valuable info you had given.I’ve taken a close look at your question & the reply and come up with the following answer:

Usually anal fissures get heal within 8-10 weeks.If the tear doesn't heal within 8-10 weeks,then you'll likely need medical treatment or possibly surgery.

Topical anesthetics (e.g., Xylocaine, lidocaine) are recommended especially prior to a bowel movement to reduce the pain of defecation.

Apply ointment such as zinc oxide, Preparation H, Anusol, or 1% hydrocortisone to soothe anal tissues. Also apply Menthol 0.1% to 1.0%.It also relieve pain,itching, and burning of anal region.Sitz bath is very helpful.All these medications are available as OTC without prescription & will help you greatly.As you were diagnosed with anal fissure on may 2nd & its more then 14 weeks now,I advice you to apply these medications.

If still the symptoms persists,then you need to consult your doctor for examination and prescription medications will be required accordingly.

Hope this helped

Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

Thank you! XXXXX
Dr. Charles

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Okay-well since it went away and reopened yes I am going to do cream. Can I ask you something? Fissures aren't a sign of colon cancer are they? I am so paranoid.

Dear Susie,
I am happy to answer your follow up question.

Yes,apply these creams,it will help you greatly.

Anal fissures are absolutely not sign of colon cancer or anything serious.Fissures can recur easily, and it is quite common for a fully healed fissure to recur after a hard bowel movement or other trauma.

So anal fissure can reoccur but they are absolutely not a sign of colon cancer & they does not lead to colon caner.Please do not get over concern about this.

Hope this helped

Thank you! XXXXX
Dr. Charles

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Okay thank you! I appreciate your feedback Cool

Dear Susie,

Also I would like to tell you that if the medications does not help then surgical options for treating anal fissure will be considered.

It include Botulinum toxin (Botox) injection into the anal sphincter and surgical division of a portion of the internal anal sphincter (lateral internal sphincterotomy). Your ano rectal doctor will decide the best option accordingly.

And please do not forget to rate my service once you have all the information you need.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

Thank you! XXXXX
Dr. Charles