Dr. Anil
Dr. Anil, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  M.B.B.S.M.D with over 30 years of experience in this medical field.

On Monday, I started swimming laps at a new gym. When I was

On Monday, I started swimming laps at a new gym. When I was at home later that evening (much later, it may have actually been Tuesday morning) I noticed a little red bump on the outside of left foot that was itchy, and presumed it was a bug bite or maybe a weird blister from my shoes. However, it's now Thursday and the bump on my foot hasn't reduced in swelling at all - or in color (it's reddish purple).

This morning (Thursday) I woke up to find a large red welt on my left thigh, on the outside, nearly perfectly in line with the one on my foot. I presumed this too was a mosquito bite or something (and was sufficiently disturbed that something might be in my bed and/or apartment) but tried to ignore it. It's about 1 inch in diameter, nearly perfectly round, raised, swollen, and red. It itches a bit, but not as much as a mosquito bite would. I did thoroughly check my body for other bites, and also to see if there was any type of rash anywhere. Negative on both.

While sitting at work - after I'd been here for about 15 minutes - another bump appeared on the outside of my left leg, just to the side of my knee - again, perfectly in line with the other two. This one looks and feels identical to the one on my thigh. This one seems to have a bit of a white outline to it, although that may just be to do with the color of my skin.

I am, of course, now feeling like they are popping up all over my body, and I'm frantically checking - but of course, none are. (Ha... ha)

Any suggestions as to what these may be, and if I should immediately get myself to a doctor?
Associated pain on such bumps?
Is itching severe?
Any other associated symptoms?
Any other medical history?
Are you taking any medications?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

• The bumps don't particularly hurt, but they aren't particularly unpainful.

• The itching isn't severe

• No fever

• Slight bodyaches - but I just went from doing NO exercise to swimming 1mile per day, so it's just general muscle soreness I think

• No other symptoms that I've noticed

• A few weeks ago I had 1 VERY swollen lymph node in my neck. Blood testing for lyme and other tick born illnesses came back negative, CBC was normal. Doctor said "it was just one of those things" and in a few days it went back to normal

• Doxepin (for anxiety), Sprintec (birth control), and Xanax as needed - I've been on all of those for a few years now in the same dose.

Thanks for providing more information.
As you describe,possible causes may include Folliculitis, Scabies,Dermatitis.
So you should make an appointment with your doctor for a clinical examination for further evaluation.
In the meantime you should apply OTC 1% hydrocortisone cream mixed with Bacitracin ointment.
Also wear cotton clothes.
And avoid tight fitted clothes.
Drink plenty of fluids.
Avoid swimming for a while as sometimes swimming can aggravate your symptoms.

I hope this helps.
If you have any further query then feel free to ask.
Positive feedback and bonus are highly appreciated.
Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your response. I just Googled some images of the three possible culprits above, and none of them look anything remotely like what I've got going on here.

It's literally just 2 large welts. Is there anything I should look for to try to determine if they are bug bites or something more sinister? (Or if they are sinister bug bites?)

Thanks for the follow-up.

Well such welts can be caused due to other causes like Insect bite,irritant contact dermatitis and in both of these conditions, you should try self care measures which i have mentioned in previous reply and you'll get good results.
And make an appointment with your doctor as well.

I hope this helps.
Thank you.