911Doctor, Doctor
Experience:  Board Certified Emergency Physician

Can birth fluids be tested for marijuana metabolites? E.g.

Can birth fluids be tested for marijuana metabolites? E.g. the mixed amniotic fluid and blood collected from the table during hospital births?

911Doctor :

no, it would need to be a urine or blood test from the patient suspected of using marijuana

911Doctor :

are you there?

911Doctor :

simply type in the box below and click 'reply'

911Doctor :

I do not see you in the chat. I am going to switch to the Q and A format to facilitate this discussion. If your question has been adequately answered I do so appreciate positive feedback. If you have further questions or desire clarification simply type your response in the box below and click ‘reply’ and I will be back with you as soon as I can.

Should you need my assistance in the future simply start your question with ‘for 911doc only’.

Thank you

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So you don't think the amount of blood in the fluids collected would be enough for a lab to process the test?

no, it's not the amount. its that the fluids are contaminated and the test could not be relied upon. the lab would never be collected that way. all labs, either blood or urine, have to be collected in a sterile fashion or they are worthless.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK, thanks. I thought that might be the case. It was an idea for a research study.