Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice

Trying to deal with pain that is on left side of lower back

Trying to deal with pain that is on left side of lower back which sometimes is also just above the tailbone. feels like muscle is hot and throbbing. had a colonoscopy, because i had slight bleeding from that side one time, but only had detectable diverticultis and doctor noted internal hemorroid on left side. he did not say to do anything but eat more fiber. i have enlarged prostate and i wonder if the prostate could cause any of this pain and rectal pressure .
Hi--how long has this been going on? Have you had any x-rays or an MRI of the lower back?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

II had mri of back one year ago when injured yanked by my sheperds on ice fell back. was pain right side 3 herniated discs. was in pt 6 weeks and dishcarged just 3 months ago. first was sent to chiro which didnt help then pt.

PT really helped. my dogs still pull. pain is on left side, i do have a hemorroid too though. also have been in restorative yoga, feel great after but a bit sore next day. thank you.

OK--can you tell me what you meant by rectal pressure?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

it is a feeling that your buttocks are hot on the outside, and sometimes inside as well. fullness sensation, almost like you have to go but you don't. but pain i am talking about is mostly left lower back or just above tail bone in center. all of these are transitory.

And have you recently had a digital (finger in the rectum) examination of your prostate and perhaps a urinalysis?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes urine analysis was normal, prostate simply enlarged was put on levaquan 4 weeks and switched from hytrin 5mg to rapaflo.

OK. Then I don't think this is from your enlarged prostate problem. If by chance you had a prostate infection--prostatitis--I might consider that, although the pain from that is usually referred to the penis and the testicles and not to one side of the back. This could be a problem with sacroiliitis--inflammation of the sacroiliac joints in the pelvis or it could be from an exacerbation of your disk problem. I'd suggest getting a repeat MRI of the lumbar spine to check for those possibilties