Dr. Brims
Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience:  U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience
14307416

Ive been having tingling legs for a while now and today my

I've been having tingling legs for a while now and today my left ankle has been very painful. It hurts to the touch on the inside of my ankle below the bone and a few inches away there is a blue spot under the skin that is not a bruise. I'm wondering if this could be a blood clot or just varicose veins.

Dr Brims :

Hello, welcome to the site! My name isXXXXX and I will try to assist you with your medical question, and any medical information you seek

Dr Brims :

I'm sorry to hear about this

Dr Brims :

Do you have any medical conditions or take any medications?

Customer:

no. none. But I did have a baby 11 months ago and varicose veins run in the family. I've just never had this kind of pain before

Dr Brims :

Is there any swelling?

Customer:

No.

Dr Brims :

When did this start?

Customer:

The localized ankle pain started last night and has gotten worse today. The blue spot on my foot just showed up this afternoon. However, for the last few months there are many nights when my legs are so achy and throbbing I have to put icy hot all over them to sleep.

Dr Brims :

Okay, there is a possibility this is a blood clot, I would advise you have this examined as soon as possible, to rule it out

Dr Brims :

If it is on one side, it could be a blood clot

Dr Brims :

Varicose veins should not cause pain like this

Customer:

like, do i need to go to the emergency room? or can i make an appointment for tomorrow. the pain has subsided a little bit in the last half hour

Dr Brims :

If the pain has subsided then you don't need to go today

Customer:

okay thank you. would it be okay to take some tylenol to get through the night?

Dr Brims :

Yes, it should be fine to take tylenol

Customer:

thanks. if the pain comes back overnight or it begins to swell is that my cue to head to the ER?

Dr Brims :

Yes, if there is swelling you should go to the ER

Dr Brims :

If the pain is unrelenting then you need to go to an ER