911Doctor
911Doctor, Doctor
Experience:  Board Certified Emergency Physician
19155615

I have received a diagnosis of Hashimotos. I have elevated

I have received a diagnosis of Hashimoto's. I have elevated TSH and low but within range Free T3 and Free T4 however, I was placed on 1/2 grain Nature Throid. Last week I had a sonogram of my Thyroid. The results are as follows: Right lobe measures 6.8x3.1x2.7 cm and is diffusely heterogenous, hypervascular and enlarged
Left lobe is 6.2x2.8x2.4 cm and is diffusely heterogenous, hypervascular and large
The isthmus measures 8 mm and is diffusely heterogenous, hypervascular. The impression is "Diffusely heterogenous, hypervascular, enlarged thyroid as described above without evidence of focal nodularity". When I looked at the images there was one of the right lobe and isthmus that the color was bright red and covered about 1/4 to 1/3 of the area. I have worked in the OR for several years therefore, I have some idea about these results . But my questions are: 1. Because there are no stated nodules or "Focal nodules" what does that mean? 2. The extremely vascular blood supply image seems to indicate a large arterial blood supply demand therefore, is this indicative of a tumor even though nothing was noted? 3. What would be the next step in my evaluation that might be recommended or that I should seek to have done? 4. Since my sonogram I have had a sore throat off and on everyday (which started within moments after the test) is this typical? I like to know what to expect so I have my questions prepared for the next visit.
Thank you,
D.
Category: Health
Expert:  911Doctor replied 1 year ago.

911Doctor :

The ultrasound report is consistent with inflammation of the thyroid, which is Hashimoto's

911Doctor :

It is NOT indicative of cancer

911Doctor :

As there are no nodules

911Doctor :

The next step is likely to be simply to get you stabilized on your medicine and watch how you do

911Doctor :

Standing by

Customer:

Thank you for clearing up my questions. I was not sure for certain if the hypervascularity was a problem to be concerned about. What about the soar throat issue?

911Doctor :

The sore throat can go along with thyroid inflammation

911Doctor :

and should subside

911Doctor :

standing by

Customer:

okay, One thing further since I have started taking the medication I have had heart palpatations and began to feel poorly is this a sign that I may be experiencing both hypo and hyper symptoms of the disease?

911Doctor :

stand by

911Doctor :

yes it is possible

911Doctor :

why are you not on synthroid?

Customer:

I have done some research and it seems that the bioidentical hormome replacement is often considered a better choice since it is made from dessicrated pig thyroid.

911Doctor :

sometimes these are prone to more side effects than the synthetic

Customer:

Thank you for the website. I will review it to see if there is other information I can glean. Is there a website I can reference for that information as well? Do you have any specific side effects that I should be aware of?

911Doctor :

stand by one... patient call

911Doctor :

okay

911Doctor :

let me get you a reference

911Doctor :

you are taking 'nature thyroid', correct?

Customer:

It is spelled without the "Y" and that is correct.

911Doctor :

okay

911Doctor :

it's rather involved but does list side effects

911Doctor :

which do include palpitations and others

911Doctor :

though it is generally well tolerated

911Doctor :

as this disease evolves you may need your medicine adjusted a few times

911Doctor :

standing by

Customer:

Great, I appreciate your assistance with this matter. Have a good day.

911Doctor :

and you as well

911Doctor :

Thank you so much for your question. It was a pleasure talking with you. Should you need my assistance in the future simply start your question with ‘for 911doc only’.

Positive feedback is always appreciated.

Be Well

911Doc

911Doctor, Doctor
Experience: Board Certified Emergency Physician