Dr. Anil
Dr. Anil, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  M.B.B.S.M.D with over 30 years of experience in this medical field.
4713694

Good Morning, My mom is 82 yrs old, high blood pressure,

Good Morning,

My mom is 82 yrs old, high blood pressure, heart disease, scliosis and back problems. She has been waking up with red hands halfway to her elbow as well as her legs up to mid calf. Her face has just started with the same symptoms. No pain, itching swelling or soreness or temperature with this condition. However, it's traveling further up her limbs. Her doctor said she is baffled and needs to research it further. Any idea as to why this sudden on set? She has had severe to moderate headaches traveling across her forehead to back of head. MRI done and they said it was normal. If were were to seek another doctor which specialty would we go to?

Well as you describe she needs to be seen by dermatologist /Vascular specialsit for a clinical examination to rule out underlying possible causes like Hives, Vasculitis - (inflammation of the small blood vessels of the skin), Peripheral vascular disease,venous insufficiency,Dermatitis.

It can be medication induced adverse effects as some blood pressure medications dilate the peripheral and cutaneous vessels of the body to reducce the blood pressure, the dilatation of the arteries and veins supplying the skin causes more blood to pool in the skin especially when the patient is sleeping or immobile for a long time and thus, causes the redness which is without an itch and swelling.

Thyroid function test, CBC, ESR, Absolute Eosinophil count, Color Doppler study should be advised.

I hope this helps.

If you have any further query then feel free to ask.

Positive feedback and bonus are highly appreciated.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

This is great information, more than what we had, thank you so much for your time and expertise.

You are most welcome.
Good luck.

Whenever you have health related problems then you can ask me in future.
It's my privilege to help you in every aspect.
Thanks dear.