Dr. Anil
Dr. Anil, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  M.B.B.S.M.D with over 30 years of experience in this medical field.
4713694

I have a problem with my big toe on my left foot. the skin

I have a problem with my big toe on my left foot. the skin around the nail is very dry, the distal half of the foot is red, the red areas are very itchy, sometimes the skin seems very dry and sometimes not. It does not seem to be athlete's foot. I do not think this is an ingrown nail- though there is some pain at the inside edge of the toe. This has been a problem for 1 month.
Associated swelling on big toe?
History of Diabetes?
Are you taking any medications?
Wear tight footwear?
Have you seen a doctor so far?
Excessive sweating?
Have you tried any medications?
Stiffness in big toe?

Thanks.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I do think there is mild swelling

no history of diabetes

I did start Rebif for MS approx 6 wks ago

no tight footwear- i wear tennis shoes all day

no doc

no excessive sweating

I have soaked my foot in epsom salts, I was on ampicillin for a cat bite ( just this past 4 days) I have used topical triple antibiotic, all with no improvement

no toe stiffness

Thanks for providing more information.
Well as you describe,possible causes may include dishydrotic eczema Dermatitis,Fungal infection,Gout,Psoriasis.
As you are suffering from last month with no relief so it's advised to consult your doctor or dermatologist for a clinical examination and get a scrapping or a swab taken and sent for analysis and culture, the laboratory will isolate the causative agent responsible and also notify the doctor about the specific medication can use to treat this.

In the meantime you should try OTC anti fungal creams like topical terbenafine and topical itraconazole two times a day.
Also apply OTC 1% hydrocortisone cream 2 times a day.
Take OTC Claritin.

Other than medication, you should avoid wearing closed shoes and socks for the time until these symptoms have resolved.
And make an appointment with doctor for further evaluation and management.

I hope this helps.
If you have any further query then feel free to ask.
Positive feedback and bonus are highly appreciated.
Thank you.