Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice

My whole entire abdomen hurts

Customer Question

My whole entire abdomen hurts
Category: Health
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 11 months ago.

Anthony Bray, MD : Hello!
Anthony Bray, MD : well as a nurse you know what we mean by a " surgical abdomen" right???
Customer : Yes
Anthony Bray, MD : If you have signs of irritation of the peritoneum then it could be very serious and warrant you being checked out at ER....
Customer : I was at the er earlier because of the blood in my vomit and stool. He said i was fine
Anthony Bray, MD : Fever?? Nausea?? Abdomen distended ?? If you listen with your stethoscope do you hear bowel sounds?? ( no would be worrisome for ileus or lack of bowel activity... >>> these would be serious signs....
Customer : No yes no yes
Anthony Bray, MD : Well in such a situation you know that the condition of a patient and in this case yourself may change over time... We don' t ever throw judgment out the window!!
Anthony Bray, MD : Ok I think I follow your answers above>> no fever// yes nausea// abdomen not distended// yes to bowel signs.... Right?? This would tend to be reassuring...
Customer : Correct
Anthony Bray, MD : Well I think that you might discuss double the dose of Aciphex --- clear this with your GI--- I think warranted based on your history if trouble....
Anthony Bray, MD : As you know I happen to be a fan of Carafate with active ulcers... You can ask????
Customer : But why does my whole abdomen hurt
Anthony Bray, MD : i think symptom wise that some viscous lidocaine to mix with Mylanta would give you short term relief...
Anthony Bray, MD : well I have no doubt that part of it is your ulcer disease but I don't know at this time why it would be more generalized...
Anthony Bray, MD : have you had diarrhea??
Customer : No
Customer : My whole abdomen deels like its on fire
Anthony Bray, MD : Viscous lidocaine would be helpful in this scenario from a diagnostic standpoint too...
Anthony Bray, MD : wonder if you might have some fo of inflammatory bowel disease and not simply peptic ulcer disease ( hope not and doubt it but...)
Anthony Bray, MD : you have not been drinking anymore have you???
Customer : Not today
Anthony Bray, MD : thank you for starting new thread!!
Anthony Bray, MD : Yes you need to stay away from that for a long time at least!!!
Anthony Bray, MD : pain radiate to back?
Customer : No
Customer : After what happened last night i really need to stay away from it
Anthony Bray, MD : I doubt this would be the case but flare of pain and its distribution does concern me for possible complications such as erosion of ulcer-- perhaps to pancreas-- 2ndary pancreatitis--- I doubt this scenario as you would probably be driven to ER due to severe severe pain....
Customer : It just hurts
Customer : Do you get sick of helping me
Anthony Bray, MD : No not at all. Wish I could be more helpful to you!!
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience: 14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Do you get sick of helping me
Hello!

No not at all! I wish that I could be of more help to you!

Take care, feel better!!

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It hurts and makes me wanna throw up
Hello!

Well with enough irritation of the stomach you will vomit. You would probably benefit from some Zofran if you have any on hand. Other anti- emetic would be probably helpful too.. Ask GI tomorrow perhaps for additional prescriptions which you may need. ...

I hope that you feel better soon !!

Best regards,

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
My belly really hurts
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Having an upper and lower scope tomorrow
Hello!

Well good luck with your procedures! Good luck, take care--

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Im really super nervous. This is what my scope showedYes. I had a 7 mm ulcer in my prepylricmregion. Multie dispersed non bleedi g erosions found in gastric antrum. Diffuse mucosL flattening was found a 2nd part ofDuodenum. And a single 10 mm ulcer found in mid rectum
Hello!

That is more extensive ulcer disease than I would have predicted... What are you concerned about specifically?? That may help me here....

The ulcer in the rectum may be due to trauma ( anal sex) I don't know if the location fit with that as cause.

Multiple ulcers and multiple areas also potentially raises concern for Crohn's ... I certainly hope that you don't have that... Too little evidence to really suggest this to me as a strong possibility but it crosses my mind as possibility ( biopsies if some were taken may be helpful in this regard )

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have further questions or concerns>>

Best regards,

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I just want them to all
Go away
Hello again,

Well I think these will heal. Take your MEDS ( ask GI about ?? Benefit to double dose Aciphex for one month--- this is technique I would add at this point but it is nothing official --- not part of a recognized treatment algorithm ...)

Do eat nutritionally --- even if you don't feel like eating.. Think of eating ( Ensure or Boost would count here)

Try to relax -- easier said than done....you had mentioned being on treatment ... Hopefully combination will be helpful...

Avoid GI irritants --as you know--- alcohol . Coffee, hot spicy foods, citrus ( for now ) peppers, onions ( for now )

Avoid anti- inflammatory MEDS ( Aleve , aspirin, Advil)

If you should end up having ZE then twice dose if Aciphex would be needed part of treatment with this...

Avoid anal sex for six weeks to allow healing( or as otherwise directed per GI)

I hope that this helps>> let me know if you have further concerns. Best regards,

Anthony Bray MD

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I DIDNT WILLINGLY HAVE ANAL SEX!!!l
Hello again,

I struggle to say the correct thing here!! I am not saying that you did... Perhaps you were indeed raped.. I don't know .. I was not there... Perhaps this was part if intra-relationship emotional pressure... I don't know... I am trying not to say anything offensive or incorrect... Please understand and bare with me here!!

Take Care,

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I WAS DRUNK. HE TOOK ADVANTAGE OF ME! HE KEPT GOING EVEN AFTER I WAS CRYING AND SAID I WAS PATHETIC. I DIDNT WANT IT TO HAPPEN BUT MAYBE ITS MY FAULT FOR BEING DRUNK
Hello again,

It sounds that he should be charged with rape... I am not meaning to offend you or make you angry!!

Best regards,

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
You didnt make me mad but i didnt want it to happen and i told him to stop and told him he was hurtibg me. But i was drunkish and couldnt fight
Hello again,

I see.... Well do what you believe is your best course of action in the given circumstances... I wish to offer you my help and support in whatever way that I can. I hope that you see healthier and happier days soon!!

Best regards,

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Why am i such a whore

You are not a whore! Don't put yourself down like that!!

Take care ,

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Do you think i could ask my dr for pain meds?

Yes, I think that would be reasonable.

Take care,

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
My stomach hurts so bad and im crying but my gi dr isnt in anymore today
Hello again,

What about your primary care doctor?? That might be an option for you...

Take care,

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
They are gone too
Hello again,

Well options or urgent care perhaps? Probably either that or wait until tomorrow...

I hope that you feel better soon...

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
What should i do Its an 8/10
Hello again,

Well by my scale 6/10 is unable to sleep through the pain and 10/ 10 would be " chained and dragged behind 18 wheeler" so if this 8/10 still fits then that would fit with " surgical abdomen" so going to ER should be the choice. ..

If my definition causes recalculation of your pain then ok we can discuss that too..

Let me know... Best regards,

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I cant move it hurts
Hello again,

I'm sorry that you are having so much trouble. It would not seem that there would be many options here for the problem at hand that are not already being employed. So on the one hand I can't tell you that going to ER realistically very likely to be if huge benefit for you at this time. On the other hand if course there could be some complication that is/ has developed that could make further treatment needed.

It is a benefit that you have medical training but objectivity goes out the window when it comes to evaluating one's self...

So use your training and common sense... Is this pain about the same or much worse than you have experienced up to now?? If worse then you should go to ER....

I hope this helps. Best regards,

Anthony Bray MD

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Its worse and just on the LUQ
Hello again,

Worse and localized so you really should be checked at ER.....could be erosion of ulcer into pancreas for example...at least it would offer you more potential benefit for pain control..

I hope this helps..Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I got a bug gooseegg and bruise on my forehead
Hello again,

Sounds that this may have resulted from a fall against a hard surface. Do you recall such an injury?

This sounds to me a side issue.. I would tend to doubt it very likely to be of a serious nature( at least majority of these are not that severe---or in other words not injury of concussion or skull fracture -- not usually--- if it should be suspicious of such severity then have it checked into further...

Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
My quality of life sucks right now
Hello again,

I know that it does right now but hang in there --- things will get better for you!!

Take care,

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Got A shot of dilaudid and visteril
Hello again,

Well that us good ... I hope you are feeling better now! I hope that can sleep OK...

Let me know if you have anything further ..

Take Care,

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The pain is back
Hello again,

Can you perhaps get in to see your GI specialist today? I think that would be the better option if possible...

Take Care,

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I called his office and hes not in today
Hello again,

What findiings did they have at ER last night? What about your primary care doctor?

How bad is pain today?

Best regards,

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Labs and xray were normal. The pain is the same as last night before the dilaudid and visteril
Hello again ,

It would seem that your severe ulcer disease would be top suspect as cause then.... Follow up with urgent care even may be of some assistance to you... GI cocktail or shirt term pain MEDS may be if help to you ....

I hope this helps. Best regards,

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
They tried GI cocktail laat nught. It didnt help. Im sweinf my pcp today
Hi again,

Well that's good. Hopefully your PCP will be able to be helpful for you then....

Take Care,

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Do you think its from my ulcer. I only had 1 ulcer
Hello again,

No---"multiple diffuse gastric erosions in the Antrum" --- erosions are same as ulcers--- you said there were many!!

So yes I think your ulcers are the cause of the pain

Best regards.

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Why is the pain flairing up
After te scope
Hi again,

Well I can't tell you with certainty why this has been the case for you. It could be that the procedure itself caused some irritation to compound the problem. That is unfortunately a risk with these procedures...

Take care,

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
What causes low calcium
Hello!

Different factors may cause low calcium...

Vitamin D deficiency is very common cause... ( vitamin D deficiency is most common nutritional deficiency) vitamin D helps the body absorb and use calcium appropriately.

Supplement over the counter of calcium 500mg plus vitamin D 400Iu/ day >> 2 tabs/ day would be recommended for you.

Your PTH ( parathyroid level) should also be checked.

Calcium should be checked also along with the electrolytes of magnesium and phosphorus levels...

I hope this is helpful. Best regards,

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I take 50,000 units of vitamin d weekly. Its never been low before.

And on a different topic they put me on carafate
Hello again,

Right the higher dose that you describe would be vitamin D2 form....

I agree with them adding the Carafate for short period of time until ulcers heal....

I hope that this helps and that you feel better soon!

Best regards,

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
So why is my calcium low
Hello again,I don't know specifically to you as to why your calcium is low but I can give you potential reasons ....low calcium intake over time would be suspect as cause ....BTW-- calcium citrate has better absorption than calcium carbonate....Vitamin D deficiency is MOST COMMON NUTITIONAL DEFICIENCY...hence this relates to why osteoporosis is such common problem in women...I hope this helps. Take care,Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have blood in my stool again
Hello again ,

I'm not surprised at this fact but would caution you to keep close watch on the severity of this symptom of course. If large volume repeat blood loss then it could be serious and need further medical attention !! Hopefully this will not be the case...

Best regards,

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
My gi dr said any blood and i need to go to er. I was just checked out today
Hello again

If your GI was this concerned about recurrent bleeding then I would take it very seriously and follow up at ER then...

Best regards ,

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
He said any blood in my stool, urine, or vomit then i have to go to er. Its not a lot

http://s1280.photobucket.com/user/Kate_Miller2007/media/image_zps482e84fd.jpg.html

I tried link but was unsuccessful, " page not found" message.. Also photo bucket appears to ask for ID and I am not a member of this site... I'm not sure if that matters or if I may have typed address in wrong???

Let me know--- Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
What do i tell the er when i get there
Hello again,

Tell them if your history and that you are having blood in the stool... You may need follow up of vitals and CBC for example .... You know it is the risk of ongoing blood loss here that would place you in danger....

I hope this helps. Best regards,

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Tjey said i was fine and are sending me home
Hello again,

Well that's good! I hope things settle down for you soon!

Take care,

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
My gi dr put me on cipro and flagyl
Hello again ,

That is common regimen for diverticulitis ( or colitis)

So a lower GI infection must be suspected as cause in your case....

I hope this helps! Take care,

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
How much blood loss ot too much? Pulse 136. Fast breathing. Have a bleed somewhere. Legs feel weak and i feel fatigued
Hello!

The symptoms that you describe would be if concern here!! Rapid pulse and shortness if breath can be signs of critical loss of blood. I would advise you to be checked at ER with these symptoms!!

Best regards,

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Howich can someone lose before their hgb drops
Hello, initially the hemoglobin does not drop!! Your blood VOLUME drops.... So the first response to an acute hemorrhage would be same hemoglobin( concentration) but a drop in blood pressure and compensatory rise in pulse rate...

It is with intake of fluids that blood becomes more dilute and then you can detect blood loss via drop on hemoglobin....

It is a common misconception that you can rule out an acute bleed via the hemoglobin alone though-- you can't....

I hope this helps! Take care and get checked! Best regards!

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Yesterday my hgb was fine but my bp was 94-67
Hello again ,

The drop in BP and high pulse are concerning here!! It may take 2-3 days and you may likely see a drop if HGB of 2-3 or possibly more points... This is hard to say... It should be monitored though ... Do keep in mind that the hemoglobin alone IS NOT the way to detect an acute hemorrhage though !!

I do hope that you get this checked into!

Best regards,

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The dr didnt seem to care
Hello again,

Oh my!! Which doctor didn't seem to care?? That is crazy!! If you had these resting vitals they would not be considered stable( resting pulse of 136??)

Now BP greater than 90/60 may pass for stable but not if you have a resting pulse greater than 130!!

If you are still this tachycardic or weak or light headed or feel faint then I would suggest some form of further medical evaluation as soon as possible!!

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have anything further .. Best regards,

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Think it can wait until tomorrow
Hello again,

Well what are your CURRENT VITALS?? Pulse and BP... Do you have symptoms if ongoing blood loss?? Has your pulse stabilized to 100 or less? Has your BP remainder greater than 90/60?

If you are in these ways clinically stable then OK to wait until tomorrow...BUT IF NOT... Then you would be best to go have yourself checked further !!!

I have no agenda to make you have unnecessary medical care but do pursue this when you need to!!

I hope that this helps! Let me know if you have further questions or discussion..

Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Dont be mad at me. Idk what my bp is. My pulse is 132. Im lightheaded and legs feel weak
Hello again,

I'm not mad!

You need to be seen--- weak--- tachycardic --- light headed probably means low BP ( presyncope)...all reasons that point to serious nature of problem!! I would STRONGLY ADVISE you to seek medical attention tonight via ER... I understand you would not want to but... It does sound that serious...

Best regards,

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Pukse 144 upon standing
Hello!

So , OK ---go to ER !!!

Best regards,

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Dr bray i dont want to
Hi again,

Well that is normal but I think that it sounds that you NEED to....

What else can I say? It sounds suspicious enough to warrant ER evaluation for possible serious degree if blood loss ...

I can't sit here and change the simple facts.... You may choose to do what you wish... I have no control over that... You ask my honest opinion given a set if circumstances and I try to offer that to you!! That is all that I can do!!

Good luck with this! Take care,

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Im sorry if i made you angry
Hello!

No, you do not make me angry. I wish you the best . I hope that you do what is best for you. I hope that you have a good outcome whatever you choose to do!

Take care,

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Idk if its anxiety but my chest feels heavy
Hello!

Considering your age and everything going on I would say that it is a good chance to be anxiety. I agree with you that this is a strong possibility.

On the other hand if your hear is pounding to compensate for severe ameia or blood loss then this could be a factor too...

Take care!

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Is there a better med than ativan? Ive been on it for 8 weeks and havent noticed a difference
Hello again,

There are different MEDS that may be tried in. This regard. There is no clear best choice that fits everyone but different patients may respond better to one or another...

Xanax, Valium, Buspar, Klonapin , Tranxene are to name a few MEDS which might be considered for anxiety... There are others still. Dose of course is a key factor but we have to weigh the negative impact of drowsiness and sedation vs improving anxiety symptoms...

I hope this helps. Best regards,

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Whats besides celiac causes flattening of the mucosa of the duodenum.
Hello again,

Flattening if the villi of the mucosa of the duodenum is indeed a dinging suggestive of celiac sprue of gluten sensitive enteropathy. This finding alone may not be in itself diagnostic of this condition although very suspicious for it. Certain GI infections may disrupt the villi layer of the duodenum and this nay recover in time for example . I hope that your GI did biopsies of this region at the last endoscopy and this would be diagnostic of celiac sprue if you should have this disorder.

Your ulcer disease could be a confounding factor in your case. Your poor nutrition might be a confounding factor as well.

Blood tests to test for specific antibodies are also useful to identify gluten sensitive enteropathy. Follow up with your gastroenterologist as soon as possible with regard to this finding!!

In the meantime I would advise you to avoid ingesting gluten( common protein in many foods ) seek out gluten free products... This may be a lifelong need if you have celiac disease but may end up being a temporary precaution...

I hope that this helps! Best regards!

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
They did do biopsies. I dont want to have a gluten allergy
Hello again,

Well they should be able to tell from the biopsies( pathology results may take on the order if two weeks to get back though..)

Hopefully you don't have the gluten sensitive enteropathy. It is a pain to keep track of all the things that you need to avoid!!

Best regards,

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
What does this
Mean? Ulcerations and focal inflammation both acute and chronic. Findings are suggestive of possible focL mucosal prolapse
Hello again,

Well it sounds to me that you have evidence if chronic recurrent ulcer disease. This would make sense with your history -- may well tie into your stress and your stress response which may include anorexia and bulimia --- this set of problems could well explain you having the recurrent trouble with ulcer disease....

Hence the inflammatory changes being both acute and chronic in nature( this would be judged based on the types of cell populations and the healing process/ scarring/ vascular regeneration, etc) erosions mean ulcers....

I am less sure if the significance of findings of focal mucosal prolapse.... (? Finding possible with celiac disease but if this then I would think this would NOT. be focal but diffuse in character...) so I advise that you discuss this finding in particular further with your GI...

Overall I think the picture fits more with you having severe recurrent ulcer problems. I think that if you could a) control the stress in your life b) stay on the Aciphex and perhaps twice a day may be needed c) avoid GI irritants as we have discussed and d) maintain consistent good daily nutrition >>> then these steps would essentially cure you I think!!! ( provided that you do not have celiac sprue which would take e) avoid gluten... Again I think that the findings would be more diffuse in celiac disease however...

I hope that this helps! Let me know if you have further questions and I will be happy to get back with you! Best regards,

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I see my regular gi dr tomorrow. Anything i should ask him
Hello again,

Yes I would discuss your endoscopy findings and biopsy findings with your gastroenterologist. I think findings seem most consistent with chronic recurrent ulcer disease as I discussed with you earlier. I think that the findings would not be consistent with pattern of celiac disease but please discuss this with your GI as well. ( this biopsy finding is not common to my experience)

I think as I told you that there is a set of things that you need to do to heal and stay well. I won't repeat these ( unless you feel you need clarification on these points for any reason ) discuss these steps with your GI doctor as well. ( I hope that the similar factors will be reinforced with you!) my hope is that your behaviors will improve along with taking needed medicines and that this will allow your ulcer disease to heal up and then keep you out if trouble for long time to come.

Let me know if you have anything further ! Best regards,

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
My blood sugar was 43 earlier
Hello again,

Wow-- hypoglycemia now! What next?!?! Are you keeping regular intake ? Do you have recurrent symptoms that have been suspicious for hypoglycemia?

One possible factor that could lead to this problem is that you have had in past days of not eating. This would deplete liver stores of glycogen which are readily converted to glucose in times if need. This is the body's first resource store if energy. Your history of going days without eating would lead to depletion of these glycogen stores....

You may end up needing further evaluation of the hypoglycemia as it can have different causes such as excess insulin production and release but knowing your history to some extent I would tend to be careful to look at this potential factor.

I hope this helps! Best regards!

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I didnt eat for 2 days. I didnt think a mormal persons blood sugar would get that low
Hello again!

You are right that it is not normal to be hypoglycemic BUT it is also not normal to SKIP FOOD FOR SO LONG!! This is a clear cause of hypoglycemia!! You need to eat everyday for a multitude of reasons!!

I really think that if you will do everything that you SHOULD DO for your own health and nutrition that you will be fine!!

There is potential speculation for other causes to these problems( hypoglycemia , ulcers) but your anxiety driven behaviors are probably the real culprit!! It is time to recognize the problem and take the bull by the horns in my opinion!!

I hope this is truly helpful for you!! Let me know if you have further questions or discussion and I will be happy to get back with you!! Please also start a new thread as this one has grown long... I would very much appreciate that! Take care!!

Anthony Bray MD