911Doctor
911Doctor, Doctor
Experience:  Board Certified Emergency Physician
19155615

My son is 17 NHL has had a fever up and down for the last two

Customer Question

My son is 17 NHL has had a fever up and down for the last two days. He has a mild headache and no other symptoms. I can not seem to break the fever to under 100. Do you have any suggestions. I have been giving him Advil.
Category: Health
Expert:  911Doctor replied 1 year ago.

911Doctor :

thanks for your question

911Doctor :

where is your son in his treatment for the non-Hodgkin's lymphoma?

911Doctor :

is he currently getting chemotherapy

911Doctor :

?

911Doctor :

simply type in the box below

911Doctor :

and click reply

911Doctor :

standing by

Customer: This can not be my answer. He only has a fever and I can not get it go below 100?
911Doctor :

it's not your answer

911Doctor :

I simply need this information to get a good answer for you

Customer: I am very sorry I do not know how the NHL got in my question, very weird. He does not have NHL. Just a fever with minor symptoms such as a headache varying in intensity. He has not been able to eat. Although he says his stomach is okay. When he stands up he gets a little dizzy.
911Doctor :

okay

911Doctor :

does it hurt his neck when he turns his head? or is this simply a mild headache with fever and nothing else?

Customer: He says it does hurt when he turns his head.
911Doctor :

okay

911Doctor :

last question before my answer

911Doctor :

has he been in the woods or been bitten by a tick or have a new rash anywhere on his body?

Customer: He has not been in the woods, he says he has no rashes and no tic bites. We do have two dogs and cat. I have not seen any ticks on them.
911Doctor :

okay

911Doctor :

so the good news first

911Doctor :

likely he simply has a viral syndrome

911Doctor :

and the fever will dissipate along with his headache over the next few days

911Doctor :

you can, if you wish, add Tylenol to the advil

911Doctor :

the two are safe together

911Doctor :

and you can give them, alternately, every three hours

911Doctor :

for a day or so

911Doctor :

if he improves over this time

911Doctor :

then great

911Doctor :

the fever of 100 means there IS something going on

911Doctor :

but the actual number does not matter unless the fever gets up to 104 or so, as that is dangerous

911Doctor :

the one thing I would caution you about

911Doctor :

is this

911Doctor :

and I am an ER doctor

911Doctor :

and we are trained to think of the worst possible cause for symptoms

911Doctor :

and this would be meningitis

911Doctor :

since he has had this mild illness for a couple of days and does not appear to be acutely ill, or seriously ill

911Doctor :

this is VERY unlikely

911Doctor :

but

911Doctor :

should he develop worsening headache or neck stiffness

911Doctor :

then I would get him seen today

911Doctor :

let me send you a reference

911Doctor :

stand by

911Doctor :

Again

911Doctor :

I do NOT think this likely at all

911Doctor :

it's just something to be aware of

911Doctor :

standing by

911Doctor :

are you there?

Customer: Thank you. I just have one more question for you. He has not been able to sleep the last three days due to headaches and then two days ago he developed the fever. When he wakes up it will hit 102.3. During the day when I keep him hydrated it will go down between 100 and 101. So I should give him the Tylenol Advil treatment for one more day and if it doesn't break to the doctor tomorrow. Where, I know it is rare, would you contact meningitis?
911Doctor :

great question

911Doctor :

meningitis is highly contagious

911Doctor :

there are various forms

911Doctor :

bacterial meningitis is a serious illness that comes on quickly and usually occurs in clusters

911Doctor :

dorms at college

911Doctor :

military barracks

911Doctor :

schools

911Doctor :

etc...

911Doctor :

viral meningitis is much less severe

911Doctor :

and is also easily contracted by close contact with an infected individual

911Doctor :

there are rarer forms of 'encephalitis', which behaves just like meningitis, that can be contraged by mosquito bites and tick bites

911Doctor :

and the encephalitis forms are severe as well

911Doctor :

with his course of waxing and waning fever and symptoms

911Doctor :

it is unlikely at this point that he has any of these

911Doctor :

but it is possible

911Doctor :

i think you have a good plan

911Doctor :

and I know you will be watching him closely

911Doctor :

if he takes a turn for the worse today

911Doctor :

worsening headache, vomiting, confusion.... basically anything worse

911Doctor :

I would take him to the ER, or, at a minimum, contact the on call pediatrician and speak with them about his illness

911Doctor :

standing by

Customer: thank you I appreciate your advice.
911Doctor :

you are most welcome

911Doctor, Doctor
Experience: Board Certified Emergency Physician