Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice

My brother went to the VA hospital because he was not feeling

My brother went to the VA hospital because he was not feeling well. They did blood work on him. After a few days, they called and said everything was fine, just his white blood cell count was a bit high, and they brought him back in for X-rays and a CT scan. A few days later, they called and told him everything looked fine, then asked him if he needed anything for his acid reflux. When he told them he didn't have acid reflux, he was put on hold. When the nurse came back on, she said they were going to set him an appointment in their Pittsburgh facility, which is a larger, more advanced facility. He refused and hung up.
Is there something I should be worried about? He's stubborn as a mule and won't even inquire as to what the problem may be. Can you please help me and point me in the right direction?
Thank you very much for any info. you could give me.
Hi. First off do you know what was going on that brought your brother to the hospital? Any more information as to the reason for the new appointment?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

He said he just wasn't feeling "right" inside and he had lost 15 pounds in a month. He had very low energy.

As for bringing back in after the blood work, they just wanted to x-ray and CT scan him. He said no reason was given. It just struck me as odd that after they viewed them, they thought he had acid reflux, then just told him he had to go to their Pitts. facility when he told them he didn't.

I'm worried because I feel they saw something on those scans that must have resembled acid reflux damage. I'm sorry I can't give you more. I hope you can give me a few ideas to either ease my mind, or hog-tie him and drive him to Pittsburgh.

But as far as you know they told him the ct scan and the x-rays were normal? Just as an aside is his skin turning yellow?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No, his skin looked fine, He did look a little "worn", for lack of a better term. Bags under his eyes and thin. He's 6'0" and usually maintains about 190lbs and in very good shape.(He's an Ex Navy SEAL) Now, he's lost alot of muscle tone and just appears a bit ragged.

I hope this helps.

OK. I wish I could give you a specific answer here, but as you can imagine we don't have a lot of information to go on. Weight loss like that and not feeling good to me is a very worrisome scenario. My very first thought, unfortunately, is cancer. If they did see something on the ct scan it wouldn't have been the result of reflux--the "damage" of reflux doesn't show up on a ct or an x-ray. If there was something on the ct it could have been pancreatic or liver cancer if I had to guess. If by chance there wasn't anything suspicious on the ct then this could be hepatitis or even leukemia or lymphoma although with the latter two I would expect something to show up on the CBC. I really can't tell you any more but I do think it is absolutely imperative that he be seen in Pittsburgh but at least he should call the doctor back and find out exactly what the problem is and not hang up if he's put on hold.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you very much. It looks like I got the "hog-tie" as my only option. Thank you very much again. I am very satisfied with your help, although I wish it was better news.

I WILL get him to Pittsburgh.

Sorry to give you such depressing news but please let me know how it goes with him
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I most definitely will. Thanks again.

I'll hope for the best for him