911Doctor
911Doctor, Doctor
Experience:  Board Certified Emergency Physician
19155615

can chlamydia lay dormant in a mans body?

911Doctor :

if you mean can it be there and cause little to no symptoms and then produce infection in another person the answer is yes.

Customer:

i'm going to try and be more specific ive heard of other stds that can lay dorment in someones body for years than just pop up... ive been with my girl friend for over 2years faithfully and she could possibly have it , shes going for tests now im going to get tested soon , is there anyway this could have been from a past relationship?

911Doctor :

yes... but why are you concerned? are you or your partner having symptoms?

Customer:

she had her yearly gyno appt and the doctor said she may have it after an exam and is now sending a sample away to get a final verdict.. my girlfriend thinks i must have cheated on her

911Doctor :

I see

911Doctor :

the only way to tell is with lab tests

911Doctor :

but this link I am going to send would be great for you both to read together

911Doctor :

CHLAMYDIA

911Doctor :

is is known as the 'silent STD' because many people do not have symptoms

911Doctor :

especially men

911Doctor :

and it can be passed years after the initial infection

911Doctor :

standing by

Customer:

but it would be possible for me to have had it from a previous relationship and it now 2 years later showing up on her tests?

911Doctor :

yes

911Doctor :

the link above will show you that

911Doctor :

but we are jumping the gun because we do not know that there is a chlamydia infection... you can't know there is chlamydia by looking... it's a lab test

Customer:

ive read that but it does not say much about it being dorment at all.. im am just tryin to find some proff that if she does have it , i havent cheated on her

911Doctor :

I see that

Customer:

right the doc seemed as she was convinced and now my girlfrind is assumeing i have cheated on her and i havent

911Doctor :

try this link HERE

911Doctor :

wait for the test

911Doctor :

and then read the link above

911Doctor :

it can, in fact, be asymptomatic and dormant in men for years

Customer:

thats what i figured and i have been trying to tell her but there seems to be a large community that believes it can not stay dorment

911Doctor :

then the CDC link and the medicine.net link are the one's to refer to... you can find anything you want on the internet... but the fact is that it can be dormant in men.

Customer:

ok great thanks you were alot of help

911Doctor :

no worries.

911Doctor :

good luck, I hope her test is negative. if it is positive you will need to be treated as well, but the treatment is simple with a short course of antibiotics

911Doctor :

do you have any final questions for me?

Customer:

i think that is all thank you

911Doctor :

great

911Doctor :

Thank you so much for your question. It was a pleasure talking with you. If this answer has been helpful to you please consider leaving positive feedback. Should you require my assistance in the future simply start your question with ‘for 911doc’, and I am usually on the site most days.

Best