Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  30 years of experience
8227957

Good morning, i have woken up with the left front side of my

Good morning, i have woken up with the left front side of my tongue swollen, it's never happened before and i'm quite scared. it's been just over an hour now and its still there, it may have become slightly worse not the swelling thats the same, not large just a slightly bigger area. i took an antihistamine as soon as i felt it. i'm not sure what to do, i just started applying ice. i had a sore back yesterday morning and took ibyprofen (spelling?) and another dose 12 hours ago. please help
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question,

I’m Dr. Saha and I’ll try to help you.

Did you take ibuprofen before?

Did you have any history of allergy?

Do you feel any other symptom?

Is there pain / itching?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes i have taken ibuprofen before, it is the same brand i usually use. my tongue is slightly sore.no itching. no allergies i am aware of but in the past 3 months on the same side my lower lip has swollen on the lower left half with no apparent reason. i do have a slight case of the loose bowels but i think that could be because i am panicking a little. i haven't eaten anything unusual today but i did try some new sweets about 10am yesterday morning.

Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Katrina, for the information,

The swelling can be due to an allergy.

The cause of allergy is often not apparent.

Ibuprofen can cause it, though you have taken it before.

Food is often a factor.

It can occur from environmental allergens too.

Sometimes, bite can cause it.

But you do not have any sore there.

Loose bowel may not be related but swelling of lip can also be due to allergy.

When the swelling is continuing, it is necessary to see doctor.

You have done a good job by taking antihistamine.

Because if it progresses it can involve other parts of tongue, cause edema of the throat, breathing distress etc where it can become an emergency.

So an urgent examination by doctor should be taken.

You can continue ice application.

I hope this information helps.

I will be happy to assist, if you need any clarification.

Please feel free for any follow up query.

Best wishes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

it's almost 3am, the doctors open at 8:30am. ice feels good on it but it doesn't seem to be going down. i'm just worried about it getting worse. i have had 1 panick attack or two in the past year so i'm trying not to over-react but scared :-(

Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 year ago.

Which antihistamine did you take? How many mg?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i took fexofenadine 180mg now 2 hours ago.it says one a day on the packet. would it be unsafe to take another?

and thank you so much for your help!

Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 year ago.
You have taken the normal dose.

Please do not repeat it.

If you notice that the swelling is not going down, then I would suggest to go to hospital.

Steroid or other medicines can be needed.

If the swelling decreases, then you can wait till morning visit.

Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience: 30 years of experience