Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  35 years of experience

I am new to a county paid insurance program. Went to primary

I am new to a county paid insurance program. Went to primary doctor due to pain in left shoulder for past six months. I had slipped and fell really hard on my left elbow, the pain was more widespread then, and now its more isolated to under the arm/shoulder, it has never gone away. Doctor ordered xrays a few weeks ago, came back clear, nothing wrong. My question is that with my long term pain issue could I have a problem that cant be seen on xray?

Thank you for your question,

I’m Dr. Saha and I’ll try to help you.

There can be soft tissue injury like that of rotator cuff.

In tear of rotator cuff or an injury to it may not show up in X ray.

MRI of the shoulder can show the soft tissues well.

You can read about rotator cuff injury in this link.

I hope this information helps.

I will be happy to assist, if you need any clarification.

Please feel free for any follow up query.

Best wishes.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Isnt the rotor cuff at the back of shoulder? My pain is deep and under the large muscles towards the front of shoulder? How do I navigate this situiation with the doctor? Shouldnt he have suggested other scans?

Pain can be felt in the front too.

You can discuss with doctor whether MRI would be necessary.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I had the xray two weeks ago (but pain has been present for 5-6 months). He looked a radiology report and stated "your shoulder is normal."

At the gym I really try to do alot of deep tissue stretching to increase my range of motion, this definitely helps with the pain levels for that day but it never goes away, always present a numbing type pain. Using the below image as a reference, my pain is located at the lowest part of the cartilage area, towards the front of shoulder.

If there is any cartilage injury, it can be detected in MRI.

As the pain is there for long 5-6 months, you can also discuss with your doctor about referral to orthopedic.

Physiotherapy can be helpful too.