Dr. German
Dr. German, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MD

I woke up in the middle of the night last night with my right

I woke up in the middle of the night last night with my right arm completely numb, paralyzed, and unable to move. My husband then moved my arm gently around to help and I felt nothing. This lasted about 20 minutes. I have experienced numbness in my limbs several times the last 6 months but nothing like this. I have a history of chronic migraines, however, I have had a severe migraine recently that lasted for days that pain medication could not relieve. I am currently experiencing a cold tingling sensation in my arms and legs.

Welcome and thanks for your question I am Dr. German I would be here to help you and give you all the assistance you need until you are satisfied, according to what you describe , You must contact a doctor immediately to investigate what has been producing all these symptoms .

It is important to investigate if the numbness could be product of a serious condition like a stroke or TIA ( conditions in which the brain blood flow decreases by the presence of a clot that blocks the brain blood flow ) . These conditions must be managed immediately to prevent developing serious further health side effects.

Besides these conditions , there are other possibilities that could produce similar symptoms and should also be investigated including : nerve injury , nerve compression , the presence of an herniated disc , vascular problems like atherosclerosis ( in this condition , the blood flow decreases when cholesterol builds up ) producing a numbness or tingling sensation, diabetes , low thyroid blood levels, neurological diseases like multiple sclerosis in which the immune cells mistakenly attack the nerve cells, peripheral neuropathy ( a condition , in which the peripheral nerves become swollen ,inflamed or irritated), vitamin B 12 deficiency and/or irregular electrolyte blood levels specially sodium , potassium or calcium.

Do not wait , contact a Doctor immediately ,this could be serious.

They will need to run some tests including : electrolyte blood levels , cholesterol blood levels, thyroid hormone blood levels , glucose blood levels , nerve conduction tests , a vascular ultrasound and a head and spine CT Scan or MRI .

With these tests , they will able to determine what specific condition is producing these symptoms and you will receive an appropriate treatment immediately .

Like You do not have Health Insurance , what you could do is going to a public government health center , they will see you even if you do not have health insurance and you will pay only what you can afford , nothing more .

Here is the link , so you can find a center near your area :

If you need any additional information I will be happy to continue further and assist you until you are completely satisfied . Good luck to you and have a good day !

Please leave a positive feedback ( click on excellent or good service ) if you are satisfied with my answer.