Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  35 years of experience
8227957

I have an infected cut on my leg that, just this evening, started

I have an infected cut on my leg that, just this evening, started feeling tingly (i.e a tingling sensation). The cut is being treated, both with oral antibiotics and antibiotic ointment. Should I be concerned?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question, I’m Dr. Saha and I’ll try to help you.

When did you have the cut?

How large is the cut?

Is the area under bandage now?

Do you feel any pain or swelling of the surrounding area?

When did you take tetanus vaccine last?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I appreciate any help you can give!

The cut happened about two weeks ago. It's fairly small and oval shaped. It is covered in both a standard band aid and a gauze dressing. I haven't removed the band aid since yesterday, under advice of the doctor I saw, but I had to change the gauze dressing today, since I was unable to prevent it from getting wet. It doesn't hurt at all, and I don't notice any swelling or redness in the non covered area, though I haven't removed the band aid to check the wound itself.

Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Jeff, for the information,

During healing process there can be some tingling sensation in the cut area.

As there is no new symptom of pain, swelling, you should not worry.

I think you are up to date with tetanus vaccination.

You should remove the bandage and band aid.

Put some antibiotic ointment and keep it open over night or cover the area by bandage only.

When going out you need to cover the wound so that it does get dirty.

I hope this information helps.

I will be happy to assist, if you need any clarification.

Please feel free for any follow up query.

Best wishes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes, this helps! I just have one more question (and by the way, yes, I am up to date on my tetanus vaccination): the doctor I saw yesterday put me on bactrim ds for the infection. Is that a common drug to use for an infected wound? Is it usually effective?

Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 year ago.
Yes, it is a common drug.

It is usually effective too.
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience: 35 years of experience