Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice

The pad of my left thumb became sore and I can feel a small,

The pad of my left thumb became sore and I can feel a small, hard lump underneath the skin. It does not show outwardly. Pressing my thumb pad is painful. Do I need to see my doctor for this?
Hi--how long has this been going on? Any trauma involved?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It's been painful for about 2 weeks now. The lump has grown slightly. I don't recall any trauma.

OK--and you've never had this before and no involvement of any other fingers?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Never had it before. It's only my left thumb. One day it became painful to put any pressure on the pad of my thumb. I realized that I could feel a small lump under the skin. It is small and hard, maybe about the size of a BB.

OK. Most likely this is a localized tendonosis--inflammation of the tendon in that area--and it will subside with perhaps some ibuprofen. That said, rheumatoid arthritis can cause something like this even if there's no apparent joint involvement in the hands. So I would suggest you have a doctor look at this to see if an autoimmune blood screen is warranted.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I do have RA. Can my rheumatologist do something specific for this? I already take 3 meds for RA.

Well, it doesn't mean a flare up of your RA but if you aren't on prednisone right now that would help
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK. Thank you.

My pleasure--any time