Dr. Brims
Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience:  U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience
14307416

I am 46 old female. I need help with the interpretation of

I am 46 old female. I need help with the interpretation of my MRI results.The neck MRI: Foraminal stenosis, osteophytes and disc bulge of C5/C6, central stenosis of C5/C6.
Scan of lumbar spine shows moderate degenerative changes in lower spine from L3 through S1 including disc space narrowing,disc degeneration, osteophyte formation and facet and ligementum flavum hyperthropy. L3-L4 shows tiny central disc herniation and mild to moderate spinal stenosis. L4-L5 shows degenerative end plate chages. There is a superimposed small broad based central and right central disc herniation with minimal right L5 nerve root impingment in the lateral recess.There is a moderate central spinal stenosis.L5-S1 shows a small central disc herniation without thecal sac nor nerve root impingment.There is abuttment of the existing S1 nerve root. Impression; Moderate degenerative changes in the lower lumbar spine causing multilevel central spinal stenosis. In particular L4-L5 shows superimposed small extruded central and right central disc hernation contributing to moderate central spinal stenosis and right L5 nerve root impingment in the lateral recess. L5-S1 small disc herniation without thecal sac or nerve root impingment. If a professional can explain to me line by line what each of the condition mean I would really appreciate. Kind regards, Izabela
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 1 year ago.

Dr Brims :

Hello, welcome to the site! My name isXXXXX and I will try to assist you with your medical question, and any medical information you seek

Dr Brims :

I am sorry to hear about these problems

Dr Brims :

Stenosis is narrowing of a hole or the tunnel that is formed by the backbones

Dr Brims :

In your neck, you have some stenosis and arthritic changes like bone spurs or ostephytes

Dr Brims :

In your lower back you also have this narrowing, however the is a herniation of the disc which lies between each vertebra, and it is pressing on one of your nerve roots (L5)

Dr Brims :

This may lead to pain, numbness and tingling

Dr Brims :

Usually surgery is indicated when there is severe narrowing causing compression leading to muscle wasting

Dr Brims :

The initial treatment is physical therapy

Dr Brims :

Can you see my replies?

Customer:

Thank you very much for the prompt reply. What does the "There is abuttent of the existing S1 nerve root", nerve impigment in the lateral recess and flavum hypertopy mean? What are the causes of all of that? The age or some injuries (known and unknown) or both contributed to the state of my spine? Could buldging of the disc be the cause of wear and tear or an injury? Thank you! Izabeal

Dr Brims :

Abutment of the S1 nerve root means it is being pushed from below by a structure, likely the disc herniation

Dr Brims :

Flavum hypertrophy is inflammation of a ligament

Dr Brims :

The cause of all of theses symptoms is osteoarthritis, which is due to wear and tear of the joints from usage and age, it could also be due to minor injuries

Dr Brims :

The bulging of the disc is due to wear and tear, the disc bulge will not cause wear and tear

Customer:

Are you saying that none of the above could be caused by being for example in the car accident? Could any of the above, if already existed, be aggrevated in the accident? Are only certain people develop back problems, or eventually everyone will, if it is a wear and tear? Thank you!

Dr Brims :

A car accident or any trauma could have caused this or made it worse

Dr Brims :

Some people develop back problems, some people nerver do

Dr Brims :

never*

Dr Brims :

There are many contributing factors, but the most important one is, the amount of wear and tear it is subjected to, and trauma will accelerate this process

Dr Brims :

Are you there?

Dr Brims :

Hello?

Customer:

Yes I am I am just reading your comment

Dr Brims :

ok

Customer:

Thankyou very much Dr. Brims

Dr Brims :

You're quite welcome

Dr Brims :

If you have any other questions in the future you may request me and I will be happy to help

Dr Brims :

If you still have any questions on this topic, please feel free to ask

Customer:

Last question. I am assume, because I am struggling for some 4-5 years with back pain, headaches, neck pain, this could be labeled as a chronic pain which I will have to live for the rest of my life. One day the pain more tolerable then the other day? Would you say that the warm water strenghtening exeercises would be the best for my condition, the least impact on my spine?

Dr Brims :

Warm water strengthening exercises would be very good, but physical therapy may be the best, XXXXX XXXXX be able to guide you through several different exercises

Customer:

I have tried the physical therapy but everytime I thought I was getting better I reagrrevated my back and was to square one with shooting pain, unable to walk, sleep,etc. Forgive me but you have missed to answer regarding the chronic pain.Sorry for the spelling errors.

Dr Brims :

The pain may vary from day to day, some days will be better than others, I would definitely say you have chronic pain though

Customer:

Thank you again and have a great night!

Dr Brims :

You're quite welcome

Dr Brims :

If you have no other questions on this topic , you may end this session by clicking a rating button

Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience: U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience