A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist

For the last week, I have occassionally had tingling on the

For the last week, I have occassionally had tingling on the tops of my hands, fingers and the odd "electric shock" further up my arm. I can also feels some tingling when pressure is applied to my finger nails. What should I do?

Answers provided are for informational use only and do not confer patient-provider relationship. Please let me introduce myself. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I can to try to help you.

Have you been doing any unusual activity lately that involves your hands or forearms?

Are you staying well hydrated during exercise?

Looking forward to hearing from you,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
As well hydrated as I always did. Been doing chinups, but have been doing that for months. I type a lot, but been doing that for 14 years.

Thanks for the additional information.

The pattern of tingling really doesn't follow the path of any particular nerve ending. Typically when a nerve is irritated it is the nerve as it comes over the elbow and goes through the wrist at either the carpal tunnel or Guyon's canal. Depending on what is irritated, the affected part may be the thumb, forefinger and middle finger and the palm side of the hand or it may be the pinky and ring finger and may just be on the palm side or the upper side. The whole lower arm can be involved if the nerves are compressed at the elbow.

You would need to see your medical provider for an examination to determine if this is a nerve irritation and if so what is causing it. If it is nerve compression, then the conservative treatment is rest, icing, and perhaps splinting the wrist at night.

Please let me know if you have questions.

All the best,