A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. Private practice & hospitalist

Hello, about five days ago the outside (back/left side) area

Hello, about five days ago the outside (back/left side) area of my left knee started really hurting. The pain radiates down the outside back of the knee down to my ankle. It almost feels like a pinched nerve but I am also having the problem with that knee not wanting to bear my weight. It's definitely worse when I first get up.

I have made an appointment with my knee doctor but they can't get me in until Friday. But it hurts so much that I'm scared I can't wait until then. By the time I leave work and get to my car, I'm in tears and my blood pressure is through the roof from the pain. Sometimes I feel like I'm going to pass out.

Do you have any idea what this could be and what I could do to help the pain until I see the doctor? I've tried icing it, but it only seems to help a little. Thanks so much!!
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 11 months ago.

Answers provided are for informational use only and do not confer patient-provider relationship. Please let me introduce myself. My name is XXXXX XXXXX X will do whatever is possible to help you. But first I need a little more information.

You mention that you have an appointment with "my knee doctor" on Friday. What other problems have you had with this knee? Are you a regular patient of the practice?

What medications are you taking for pain?

Looking forward to hearing from you,

Schuyler

ξ

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for getting back to me. I have moderate/severe arthritis in both knees and I had my meniscas operated on in this knee about a year ago. This is the doctor that I made the appointment for on Friday. I haven't seen him since the surgery.

For pain I am taking 800 mg of ibuprofen two/three times a day as prescribed by my doctor for the arthritis.

Thanks for the additional information.

You really need to be seen before Friday, especially if the knee is unstable. You should call the office and explain both the instability and the level of pain you are having. They will most likely provide mild narcotic pain relievers (hydrocodone) until your appointment if they can't work you in prior to Friday.

If you still have your patient information from your meniscus surgery, there may be a direct line phone number or extension for your surgeon's assistant or other person who works directly for him in the packet. That person would be more helpful than the practice receptionist you talk to on the phone. If you can't find that number, just ask to speak directly to the surgeon's assistant. There may also be a physician assistant or nurse practitioner working with that surgeon who could provide you with a prescription.

You could also take acetaminophen (Tylenol) in between ibuprofen doses if you don't have liver problems.

Please let me know if you have questions.

All the best,

Schuyler

ξ

A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience: Board Certified NP, MS, RN. Private practice & hospitalist