Dr. German
Dr. German, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MD
3310972

I have MS and it has caused Oscillopsia. I get a sensation

I have MS and it has caused Oscillopsia. I get a sensation in the eye nerves that travels down to just beneath the sternum. I wouldn't call it pain. It's very hard for me to describe. I usually call it a sick sensation in my eyes that again travels down just behind my throat and to my upper stomach, at the bottom of the sternum. I am taking Gabapentin and during the day it works but at night it takes a high dose to relieve the feeling. The feeling keeps me up at night and frequently into daybreak. When I have these attacks it's unbearable. Like I said, it's not what I would call pain. Are there any other meds that can relieve this feeling that I am having? Ron
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. German replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thanks for your question I am Dr. German I would be here to help you and give you all the assistance you need until you are satisfied,yes ,there are other medications that could be used to give you the complete relief you need .

However , to take any of these medications , You need a medical prescription . As consequence , You will need to contact your doctor if you want to take any of them.

Besides gabapentin , the medications you could take are :

1- Baclofen

2-Acetazolamide

3-Levetiracetam

4-Memantine

5- Aminopyridine

6- Pregabilin

7- Botox Injections could also help

Medications are not the only option, wearing certain glasses or contact lenses could also be a great help , You should consult an Ophthalmologist who could assist you and tell you what specific glasses you need to wear.

The third option involves alternative treatments like acupuncture ,biofeedback, trigeminal nerve opthalmic branch nerve stimulation and/or cutaneous head neck stimulation.

The last option is performing surgery , there is a procedure called tenotomy , in which the doctor performs an incision in the conjunctiva ,cutting the lateral and medius rectus eye muscles ,detaching them and reattaching them later . This procedure weakens the rectus muscles , decreasing the sick sensation you have been experiencing .

If you need any additional information I will be happy to continue further and assist you until you are completely satisfied . Good luck to you and have a good day !

Please leave a positive feedback ( click on excellent or good service ) if you are satisfied with my answer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Could you explain to me in short what the different medicines do, and if you feel any one of them would be better than the other?

Expert:  Dr. German replied 1 year ago.
Baclofen is a muscle relaxer , it relaxes the eye muscles, decreasing the symptoms you have been experiencing,acetazolamide decreases eye fluids , levetiracetam is an anticonvulsant that decreases the production of excitatory nervous system neurotransmitters ,memantine also inhibits an excitatory neurotransmitter called NMDA, aminopyridine blocks potassium nerve channels ,pregabilin decreases excitatory neurotransmitters like glutamate , calcitonin gene related peptide, norepinephrine and substance P and botox injections block muscle activity but only temporarily .

All the treatments are effective ,by trial you determine the best one . However , one of the most effective is pregabilin because it blocks several neurotransmitters simultaneously , it is a little more pricy but also more effective .

Dr. German, Doctor (MD)
Experience: MD