Dr. Anil
Dr. Anil, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  M.B.B.S.M.D with over 30 years of experience in this medical field.

Used an enema for constipation and it didnt work. The box

Used an enema for constipation and it didn't work. The box says see a doctor if it doesn''t work. Do I need to go to emergency? Im am in a lot of pain. Its been two hours and I have the strong need to have a BM but its blocked. I currently have a broken ankle so I am on Percocet for the first time. This is the second time in three weeks I have used an enema. I have never had to use one before in my life.
When have you used enema?
Which medication have you used in enema?
Are you taking any other medications?
Since how long have you been suffering from constipation?
When did you have last bowel movement?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The constipation started on the july 22nd when i first broke my ankle. I have only had one BM since then (last wed) and I had to use and enema. I have been taking stool softners every day because my dr told me to but it has not helped. I used the enema 2 and half hours ago and I have been in pain since. I feel like i need to go and i cant

Thanks for providing more information.

After an enema, bowel movement usually happens within 30 minutes.

In some cases of severe constipation it may take to 45 min to one hour but not longer then that. If you do not have a bowel movement within that time then you may have to be seen as you may have an impacted stool they are unable to pass.

And as you are having pain so it's good to see your doctor or visit ER for prompt management.

Avoid straining as it can worse your symptoms.

Even Percocet is known to cause constipation.

If your pain in ankle is improving then you should ask your doctor for other pain relieving medications with least side effects.

I hope this helps.
If you have any further query then feel free to ask.
Positive feedback and bonus are highly appreciated.
Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ive never had this before and it is very painful. So you think a visit to the ER is in order? What should I expect at the ER?

If there is impacted stool a more powerful enema supervised in the ER, or a manual dis impaction in the ER is needed.
I hope this helps.
Thank you.