Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  35 years of experience
8227957

Hi, I know an associate in their mid-forties with a cough

I know an associate in their mid-forties with a cough condition at the moment and has vomited after coughing. She has had coughing many times in the past, which is quite continuous and occurs at certain times of the year. What could cause such a condition?
She says there are white things coming out in the vomit which look like saliva.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question,

I’m Dr. Saha and I’ll try to help you.

When did all the symptoms start?

How frequently does she have it?

Does she have any other symptom with it?

Did she have any test or treatment?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Dr. Saha,

She has had the condition for a long time and it occurs towards the end of the year for at least 3 months due to weather changes. It is like a chronic and constant cough during that time. There is only coughing and the vomiting is only recent and does not usually happen.

Apparently, she has been investigated and there is a name for the condition. I will get back to you with the name tomorrow. Sorry she's not been completely clear or detailed about her condition.

Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 year ago.
Thank you.

I shall wait for your reply.

If I am offline then, please wait.

I shall answer as soon as I come on line.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Dr. Saha,

I have been able to find out that the white matter is simply sputum and that the condition is thought to be allergic cough to unknown allergens. It was just surprising, though, that the white matter could be found in the vomit and could cause vomiting.

Would you agree with such an assessment, considering coughing at certain times of the time only?

Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Peter, for all the information,

Coughing at certain periods of the year can occur from different causes.

There can be an allergy, infection.

Bronchitis, COPD can cause cough for months.

In prolonged coughing there can be vomiting.

Reflux of acid can also cause cough, vomiting.

The white thing is likely to be mucus coming out with vomiting.

Among all those possibilities, allergy is one & it can have seasonal variation or depend on the exposure to allergen.

So it can cause cough at certain times only.

I hope this information helps.

I will be happy to assist, if you need any clarification.

Please feel free for any follow up query.

Regards.
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience: 35 years of experience
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the information Dr. Saha. She also mentioned that it is a form of asthma but not quite as serious. I though it might be asthma caused by allergic reaction but there is no typical wheezing or shortness of breath. I think the condition has probably been hard to know exactly but some inflammation of the lungs is involved.

Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 year ago.
Allergy & asthma can be related.

When there is constriction of bronchi then there can be wheeze, shortness of breath.

I think her symptoms are not that pronounced.