commissure
commissure, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Experienced and Compassionate Physician Trained in NYC Ready to Help.
41363181

Clinical indication: Maxillary sinus cancer, new epigastric

Customer Question

Clinical indication: Maxillary sinus cancer, new epigastric pain and hepatomegaly

A CT scan of the chest, abdomen and pelvis was performed with intravenous and oral contrast. 85 cc of intravenous Omnipaque 350 was administered. Compared to exam dated 11/15/2012.

A few tiny clustered nodules in the right upper lobe are nonspecific but likely infectious or inflammatory. There are other scattered tiny nodules throughout both lungs which are nonspecific. There is no mediastinal or axillary adenopathy.

Innumerable new liver metastases are present in both lobes. The spleen, adrenal glands, and kidneys are unremarkable with the exception of mild prominence of the right collecting system. Atrophy of the pancreas is stable. There is no bowel obstruction, ascites, or pelvic mass. There is no abdominal or pelvic adenopathy.
Category: Health
Expert:  commissure replied 1 year ago.

DrDavid :

This is Dr. David

DrDavid :

I am a cancer doctor.

DrDavid :

what type of cancer was seen in the brain?

DrDavid :

the new scan sounds like there is cancer also in the liver as well

DrDavid :

it would be rare for maxillary sinus cancer in the sinus and brain to spread to the liver.

DrDavid :

so the liver lesions need to be biopsied through CT guidance to see what type of cancer is in the liver or what is going on in the liver.

DrDavid :

hello?

DrDavid :

usually squamous cell carcinomas are the type of cancer which originate from the maxillary sinuses.

Customer :

Originally it was diagnosed as squamous cell
carcinoma, but then changed to ademocarcinoma

DrDavid :

I see.

DrDavid :

then a liver biopsy is needed to check for adenocarcinoma to see if that is present in the liver as well

DrDavid :

or if there is another type of cancer in the liver.

DrDavid :

the biopsy from the liver can then be compared to the surgery tissue from the brain and sinuses to see if the cancers are the same or different.

DrDavid :

hello?

Customer :

Biopsy is this Thursday.

Customer :

Thank you

DrDavid :

you are welcome

DrDavid :

best of luck to you

DrDavid :

let me know if you have other questions.

DrDavid :

if done, please leave +++ positive feedback below the chat box

DrDavid :

you might have to scroll down to see the feedback area.

DrDavid :

you can always reach me as Dr. David in medicine or oncology sections here at JustAnswer

DrDavid :

thanks for using Justanswer.com