Dr. Charles
Dr. Charles, Doctor
Experience:  Internal medicine specialist
6554558

I have a dull aching pain in my lower right leg - that does

I have a dull aching pain in my lower right leg - that does not go away even with pain killers. Is this something I should seek immediate attention for - or can I wait until after the weeken to see my doctor.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Charles replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer,
I am Dr.Charles and I’m happy to help with your question today.I need the following information from you,so that I can provide you the complete & best answer:

Since how long you have this pain?
Is there any redness there?
Any heat or burning sensation there?
Any other known medical illness?

I am online and is waiting for your reply.

Kind Regards-
Dr. Charles

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Since this afternoon - so not even a day - but it's a dull ache that is preventing me from sleeping, no matter what position I try. Laying in bed, is the worse - pain is even worse.. I don't see any redness, or feel any heat or burning sensation. I do have crohns disease which I keep under control with diet. I am not taking any meds - other than asprin twice today (just in case its a blood clot or something) - and also Ibuprofin because aspirin wasn't working for pain. But Ibuprofin doesn't seem to be working either.

Dear Fraidy,

Thanks for the valuable info you had given.I've taken a close look at your question & the reply and come up with the following answer:

The symptoms you have described suggests the possibility of nerve root compression.Any compromise of the nerve space in the spinal column can lead to compression of the nerve endings.This occurs because of wear and tear or injury or degeneration of the discs.

You need following tests:

-Electromyography(EMG)

-Nerve conduction studies,

-Certain blood tests,

-Electro physiological studies

-Nerve conduction velocity (NCV)

These symptoms does not seem to be due to blood clots or anything serious.Most likely the pain is because of nerve root compression.

But if the pain persists & is not controllable then you need to go to urgent care as you may need pain killer shots to get relief from this pain.Otherwise you can wait to have consultation with your doctor after the weekend.

Hope this helped

Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions,please ask me - I'll be happy to respond.

Thank you!

Kind Regards-

Dr. Charles

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry, one more question. You say I don't have to worry about it being serious, thats good to hear. So since Ibuprofin does not seem to be working, would tramadol HCL 50mg - possibly work better? I have some in the house, due to a previous c-section.

Dear Fraidy,

I am happy to answer your follow up question.

Tramadol is a narcotic-like pain reliever.It is used to treat moderate to severe pain. It works by changing the way the body senses pain.

As the pain is not relieved by aspirin or Ibuprofen,yes,you can take tab.Tramadol Hcl 50 mg to get relief.It will help you greatly.Nerve root compression pains are usually moderate to severe & are not generally relieved by OTC pain killers.So you need narcotic pain killer like tramadol.It helps greatly.

It is a prescription medication.

Hope this helped

Thank you!

Kind Regards-
Dr. Charles

Dr. Charles, Doctor
Experience: Internal medicine specialist