Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice

Not sure what to do. For years I have had issues with feeling

Not sure what to do. For years I have had issues with feeling extremely tired and struggle with staying awake during the day. I have to get up often and move around to keep from nodding off at work, but more importantly, I have to medicate with strong doses of caffine about 1-2 hours before leaving the office so that I don't nod off in the car on the way home. I then have a problem sleeping at night. I.m afraid my overnight work, on and off throughout my 20s and 30s may have messed up my internal clock. My wife and I have a baby coming in a few weeks now and I have to be able to function in the day and sleep at night. Any advice would be most welcome.
Hi--have you seen a doctor about this and been evaluated for possible causes? What exactly is your sleeping problem?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Have problems staying awake during the day and trying to sleep at night. Wake up 2-3 times a night. Have not seen a doctor for this specifically. It hasn't gotten any better or worse over the years, since working overnights when my kids were born, then back on daytime work, then overnight deliveries. That stopped years ago, but I've had trouble sleeping at night ever since and I'm always tired during the day. I am in a fog all day. I troubleshoot PC issues, and have a hard time concentrating. Then at night, I'm wide awake and have to meditate to get to sleep.

So it would indeed sound as though your circadian rhythm is truly out of whack. But I'm curious--with a problem like this basically disrupting your whole life, why haven't you mentioned it to a doctor? I have some thoughts and suggestions as to what to do, but it will take talking to your doctor about them to get this resolved
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'm not much for going to see a doctor and dealing with my problems on my own. Last time I went was a year ago, regarding what he said were cluster headaches. I quit smoking and cut down my caffine consumption by half rather than go on low-dose blood-pressure medication. That helped much more. But it was the caffine that helped me somewhat with the sleep thing.

OK--but will it be sufficient for you to tell you what I would do if I were your doctor and you came to me with this problem?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes it would. Please do!

Well, there's obviously a sleeping problem and you need a sleep study and an evaluation by a sleep specialist. If it's a matter of resetting your circadian clock. That can take some time. Also you may be having a problem with sleep apnea. There is a medical condition called shift sleep disorder that we see with people who alternate day and night shifts and there are medications like Strattera and Concerta that can help with the daytime fatigue. Here's a link for you but I think it'd be best to talk to your doctor about seeing a sleep specialist.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX I've heard of Concerta. Aren't they the makers of Nuvigil? Someone mentioned that to me before.

Nuvigil is another medication along the lines of Strattera and Concerta. My pleasure for helping you but please let me know how it goes and remember to rate my service to you