Dr. Brims
Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience:  U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience
14307416

I seem to have an over developed tendon on the left side of

I seem to have an over developed tendon on the left side of my neck---very visible. I also tend to hold my neck bent toward the left and have many photos which display this. When my neck is thus aligned, I also have pain in my upper back near my right shoulder blade. This has been bothering me for years, especially when I am tired. Is this serious? It is quite tiresome.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 1 year ago.

Dr Brims :

Hello, welcome to the site! My name isXXXXX and I will try to assist you with your medical question, and any medical information you seek

Dr Brims :

I'm sorry to hear about this

Dr Brims :

Have you had any tests?

Customer:

no

Customer:

i just noticed this last evening.

Dr Brims :

Do you have any medical conditions or take any medication?

Customer:

Oh yes, many. I have basilar migraines, as I mentioned, which have become much more serious in the last few years. Thus, I take gabapentin and verapamil for them. I also have restless leg syndrome and take pramapixole for this. I take venlafaxine for depression and cevimeline for dry mouth due to Sjogren's Syndrome.

Customer:

I also have been diagnosed with PTSD due to familial and spousal abuse.

Dr Brims :

I see

Customer:

Well?

Dr Brims :

SO this just started last night?

Customer:

No, I just noticed the enlarged tendon last night when I was cutting my hair. I had not previously seen it while cutting my hair or otherwise. It is noticeable from the front when I look in the mirror also.

Dr Brims :

Okay, and it is not painful?

Customer:

It is painful when I hold my head very straight.

Dr Brims :

I see, this is not likely dangerous, it is likely an inflamed tendon from stress

Dr Brims :

To makesure you would need to have it examined

Dr Brims :

make sure

Customer:

Why must I make sure? Could it be something potentially dangerous?

Customer:

If so, what?

Dr Brims :

I meant to make sure it is tednonitis

Dr Brims :

It is not likely dangerous

Customer:

And, tendonitis would mean treatment, or not? If it isn't tendonitis, what might it be?

Dr Brims :

It would involve rest, no treatment

Customer:

I see. I think I always have had it as even my toddler photos show my head leaning. Is it possible a birth defect?

Dr Brims :

If it is not tendonitis, it could be an overdeveloped sternocleidomastoid muscle

Customer:

Why would I have that?

Dr Brims :

You would have been born with it

Customer:

Really? Is this common or treatable?

Customer:

And, it seems to be getting worse.

Dr Brims :

It is not very common,but it does not require treatment

Customer:

Too much computer time in a bad position?

Dr Brims :

The position you are in may make it worse

Customer:

Any other suggestions?

Customer:

advice?

Dr Brims :

Anti-inflammatory drugs like ibuprofen or aleve are usually helpful

Customer:

okay. i guess i will not worry although it does cause pain in my shoulder also.

Dr Brims :

Okay

Dr Brims :

Is there anything else you would like to ask on this topic or anything else I can clarify for you?

Dr Brims :

Are you still there?

Dr Brims :

Hello?

Dr Brims :

If you have no other questions would you mind clicking a rating button?

Customer:

Sorry. I had to answer the door.

Dr Brims :

No problem

Customer:

So, are we finished? I would be happy to rate this.

Dr Brims :

Yes, we are finished unless you have more questions

Customer:

I don't think so. Good evening.

Dr Brims :

Same to you

Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience: U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience
Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 1 year ago.
Did you see my replies in the chat session?