A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. Private practice & hospitalist

Hepatitis-C (HCV)

Customer Question

I would like to inquire referring to the “Digestive Disease Department” (Molecular Biology)

My mother age 51, has been diagnosed with (HCV RNA) Hepatitis-C with Genotype 1b,

With a Test method LIPA assay .

1. HCV RNA Viral Load: 1,780,000 IU/ml

Test method: by COBAS Ampliprep/COBAS TaqMan HCV, Test Version 2, Detectable . Range 15-100,000,000IU/ml

2. Log Equivalence : 6.25

I am currently seeking the most advanced treatment for my mother – anywhere in the world- in order to get the best possible results to cure her based on the available or potentially upcoming treatments worldwide.

Can you please advise what is the current available Medication you can prescribe that is available in United States as being the leading cure drug. ?

Can you also confirm if the chances of hospitalizing my mother for the duration of the curing procedure - would it be at any added benefit and increase chances for curing and what different benefit can a hospitalization offer if compared to taking the medication at home. ?

I have read on the internet that USA and Germany has developed most advanced medicines and soon to be released to the market : the below are the names of the drugs ,

1. Vertex Pharmaceuticals 

(INCIVEK)

2. Gilead Sciences:

(SOFOSBUVIR)

3. AbbVie:

( AbbVie's Hepatitis-        C Drug )

4. Boehringer Ingelheim: 

( Faldaprevir (FDV 120mg or 240mg)  plus PegIFN/RBV )

Do you have any idea if these drugs are expected any time soon in the market of USA And or what alternative treatment or examination exists to increase the accuracy of the treatment.

(I can provide the test copy via attachment or email if required)

_________________________________________________

The Doctor at the Bumrungrad Hospital in Bangkok has prescribed  a 48 week treatment as  following :

1. PEG Integen  

2. Ribarum

Not sure if I typed them by mistake in wrong spelling

Category: Health
Expert:  khagihara replied 11 months ago.
Peginterferon, rivabirin, plus boceprevir or telaprevir is a standard therapy for gynotype 1 in the US.
You should ask your doctor to read this article.
http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMra1213651
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
No clarity , the answer does not help me in buying the right medicine , nore understanding if I should hospitalize my mother that may give any benefit , nore let me know if new drug which I mentioned are available or what is the way forward .

I want to find the right medication combination for my mother , I don't want to waist my time days and night on the search engine as i am doing now and im seeking for the right way and instead want a short cut with Profetional advise what to do , what to buy , and how to take it .
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 11 months ago.

Answers provided are for informational use only and do not confer patient-provider relationship. Please let me introduce myself. My name is Schuyler and I will do whatever I can to answer your questions.

Of the drugs you mentioned, only Invicek (telaprevir) is currently available to patients. The others are still in clinical trials. Invicek is only prescribed along with peginterferon alpha and ribavarin. It offers improved cure levels when added to peginterferon alpha and ribavarin. This is the standard of care for Hepatitis C genotype 1.

Dosing is usually 750 mg three times a day with food. Peginterferon alpha and ribavarin are prescribed as usual. The regimen is continued to 12 weeks and then the dosage is dependent on patient response as seen in blood tests.

Telaprevir has some serious potential side effects and is only given under the supervision of a specialist. Unless the patient requires it for stabilization, there is no advantage of constant hospitalization.

The drugs are only available by prescription, so you can't buy them anywhere.

Best regards,

Schuyler

ξ