Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice

Is it possible to have shingles with no rash or other symptom..

Is it possible to have shingles with no rash or other symptom.. all I had was a soreness on right side of my head from crown down into my ear and neck but no rash of any kind so far and this happened last Tuesday July 23-2013. I went to a clinic and the doc gave me PMS VALACYCLOVIR 500mg and I took 2 pills 3 times a day for 7days. and still no rash . so I would like to know how can you tell if I have shingles . Thank you Vera
Hi Vera. First a very simple question--have you had chickenpox in the past? How's the pain now?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes I had chickenpox when I was a child about 8 or 9 yrs old and I had no pain and still have no pain

OK. Yes there is something called zoster sine herpete which is indeed shingles without the rash. It's treated with acyclovir and prednisone and you may need another round of the acyclovir and there is a blood test that could be done to clinch the diagnosis here. That said, this could also be something called trigeminal neuralgia which is an inflammation of the trigeminal cranial nerve and that takes Tegretol to treat. You need to get the blood work and see if your doctor thinks another round of acyclovir is warranted first.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I do not have any symptom of any kind now I have no pain no rash no nothing so I don't understand your answer so why would I need more meds? what I would like to know is how can you tell if I had shingles with no symptom now after a week Thanks

I', sorry--I misread what you said above and I thought it said you still had pain. You can still have the blood work since the antibody level would still be elevated and that would make the diagnosis