Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice

My daughter has a splinter under her finger nail. What is best

My daughter has a splinter under her finger nail. What is best to either get it out or reduce the swelling?
Hi--how long has it been there and is there a part of the splinter that is at the tip of the fingernail?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Since last night around 6:00 PM. No part of the splinter is sticking out

OK. First off, given time, these usually work their way out without becoming infected. That said, unless you can grasp the tip of the splinter with a tweezers and gently pry it out, part of the nail needs to be cut to expose the end of the splinter so it can be grasped with tweezers. However, a doctor, in his office, has small instruments like mosquito clamps that are much better suited to get a splinter out than the tweezers people usually have at home, so if you can't get it out easily you need to have a doctor do the job.