Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience:  M.B;B.S ; FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialties
28277873

My BP readings are as follows:0902 LEFT AC: 157/107 HR

Customer Question

My BP readings are as follows:

0902 LEFT AC: 157/107 HR 111
0905 RIGHT AC: 149/92 HR 98
1031 LEFT AC: 154/108 HR 96
1033 RIGHT AC 159/108 HR 95

I HAVE A HX OF HTN AND HYPOKALEMIA. I WAS IN THE ED ON 8/1/13 WITH BP READING AVERAGING 187/108 THEY GAVE ME A RX OF NORVASC TO TAKE ALONG WITH MY CURRENT RX OF TOPROL XL AND ALDACTONE. AT 0830 THIS MORNING I TOOK 2 OF MY TOPROL WHICH WAS ADVISED BY ED DOCTOR. AT HS LAST NIGHT I TOOK TOPROL AND NORVASC. MY CURRENT S/S ARE "HAZY VISION", "TINGLY LIPS", "MY FACE FEELS LIKE ITS ON FIRE AT TIMES", AND JUST FEEL "WEIRD". I WORK IN EMS AND FEEL STUPID FOR GOING TO ED. NOT SO SURE WHAT TO DO? CAN SOME GIVE ME SOME ADVISE ON WHAT I SHOULD DO?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Sohaib replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for the question. Answers given are for informational purposes only and are not meant to replace an exam by an in-person.

I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Internal Medicine Specialist and i will do my best to help you today.

You need to answer a few questions first which will help me assist you in a better way.

What dose of aldactone, toprol xl and norvac are you taking?

And at what timings?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Toprol XL 25MG TOOK 2 AT 0830 TODAY

ALDACTONE 25MG 1 TAB QD LAST DOSE WAS YESTERDAY AT 1600

NORVASC 5MG TOOK AT 0830 TODAY

Expert:  Dr. Sohaib replied 1 year ago.

Thank you very much for the useful information Sherri.

The current symptoms you have are a result of persistently high blood pressure readings you have, and if not controlled, such levels of persistently high blood pressure will greatly increase your risks for heart attack, stroke and kidney failure.

You clearly need escalation of dose of your blood pressure medications.

Either toprol be increased to 100mg daily,

or

Norvasc increased to 10 mg daily.

Norvasc has a more strong anti-hypertensive effect compared to Toprol, so my first choice would be to increase the dose of norvasc to 10mg once daily while monitoring your blood pressure.

If this gets under control---good.

If still it doesn't, toprol can be increased gradually.

But honestly, it is up to your treating physician to decide which specific drug's dose he need to increase first.

If at any time the blood pressure readings go above 180/110 ----- go to ER.

My goal is to provide you with Excellent Service - if satisfied with the response, Please do not forget to Rate my service as this is the only way i get credit for my time and expertise on your question.

If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindest Regards.

Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience: M.B;B.S ; FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialties