Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

Urgent bowel movements after having breakfast almost everyday.

Urgent bowel movements after having breakfast almost everyday. This is problem is being from many years ago (from before ten years) now I'm 30 years old. Please help me.

Hello Sara,
I am Dr. Arun and will be helping you today.

Your symptoms are suggestive of intestinal motility disorder. There is an increased gastro-colic reflex. When we eat stomach distends and it sends signals to the large intestines which is called as gastro-colic reflex. This is a normal reflex which has enhanced in you and is classified as intestinal motility (movement) disorder. One of the commonest motility disorder is called as irritable bowel syndrome (IBS). Following investigations may be considered (if not done) to substantiate the diagnosis;

1) The complete blood count (CBC); altered in irritable bowel disease (in whom leukocytosis / high WBC count is the more frequent result).

2) Protein electrophoresis pattern may show alterations of both albumin and globulins (especially alpha-1 and gamma globulins) in IBS.

3) Thyroid function tests; an high thyroid may cause loose and frequent bowel motions.

4) A barium meal is a helpful study in the diagnosis of intestinal motility disorders.

5) Computed tomography (CT) and nuclear magnetic resonance examinations are also necessary.

6) Defecography

7) Scintigraphic study of the small bowel or colonic transit time is currently most preferred investigations for your symptoms.

Medications like neostigmine, bethanechol, metoclopramide, cisapride, and loperamide may help you.

You may consider consulting a gastroenterologist.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

We have recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional. If you have any questions whatsoever, or there is anything I can clarify for you, please temporarily bypass the rating system by clicking “Continue the Conversation” or "Reply."

Clicking either of the lowest two options reflects poorly on me so please reply to me if there is anything else I can do to help before choosing those options. I appreciate your patience while we work out the kinks. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I have provided you. Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Taking fiber supplements will help me ?

Following measures collectively may help;

1) Fiber supplementation may improve and thus should be tried. Citrucel and FiberCon may produce less flatulence (gas formation) than psyllium compounds (Metamucil).

2) Caffeine avoidance may limit exacerbation.

3) Lactose and/or fructose should also be limited or avoided.

It is privilege assisting you.